I missed the bus........

General Discussion regarding the Source Engine modification, Dystopia.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

I missed the bus........

Postby blueeire » Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 pm

I played Dystopia for the first time a few nights ago. I was enthralled, enlightened, and completely blown away by the gorgeous world that has been crafted. I have been almost depressed at the near-complete lack of a player base engaging in this masterpiece. I had the good fortune of being in a server with enough people to form a 4v4 and it was by far the best hour of video gaming I have experienced in a long time.

The genre of cyberpunk is to gamers what Shakespeare is to writers. Even if the games we play are not of that genre, the entire process of signing on to a virtual device and interacting with foreign worlds and avatars of like-minded individuals is synonymous with the overarching theme of cyberpunk: jacking in. We see the imperfections in our physical world and we retreat to our virtual worlds because it is within the complexities of these harnessed quantum patterns we find solace. Whereas Shakespeare apportioned his creative talent to the act of spoken words coupled with bodily expression, we jack into our computer world and create faster machines, better scripts, and new worlds ripe for exploration. We jack into the virtual minds of our game creators and mete out the wars in our imaginations. We jack into this collective and together we form the living breathing physical embodiment of cyberpunk.

I needed to write this simply because I felt it needed to be said. We pride ourselves, as gamers, with being sarcastic, cynical, witty, and downright asshole-ish. However, I, in a very un-gamer moment of passion, felt this game expresses the true life-force of what it is to game on a computer. I am sad to find out about it too late. For the first time I am more than willing to join a player-less server simply to marvel at this amazing virtual world and occasionally fight off the transient player, who, themselves, I feel are seeking what I seek. I hope that people will remember what a fantastic and well put together game this is and come back to light new firefights, hack new objectives, and revel in what is one of the finest examples of the cyberpunk genre. In case you find yourself within this realm I am ECOLI0157:H7 and will be gleefully grinning with every bullet/bolt/grenade/katana you put through my happy ass.
blueeire
Blank Load Out

Re: I missed the bus........

Postby bauxite » Mon May 07, 2012 10:43 pm

bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Meester » Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 am

Unfortuantely while Dystopia is a truly great multiplayer game not many people play it anymore. The most who played it was when there was one map available back in the 2000's, when it was first released.

I tried to get back into it yesterday but some of the changes made I don't agree with [for example cortex] and to be honest it is starting to look a little dated [plus lack of players]. The lack of map updates when there were plenty of viable candidates to put in, made me feel a bit jaded [i.e playing the same maps over and over again]. I still think there is nothing wrong with undermine ;)

I just hope someday someone gets around to making Dystopia 2, to Hl2's sequel or another game engine, with the same amount of craziness and skill I used to love. No more teslas though.

Cheer up while not cyberpunky, theres still tribes: ascend, planetside 2, dust 514 [only cos Im an eve player], natural selection2 and other ones coming out. Dystopia isn't the only GREAT mod though it is one of the best.
Meester

Postby Aurion » Mon May 14, 2012 11:35 am

About maps, the problem is more that half of the maps don't get played. And half of the ones played are really horrible with bad teams. Well, all are horrible with bad teams, but some are more so..

More maps could have helped here, but seeing the ratio..
Lyta had a little Vorlon, her skin was pale as snow. And everywhere that Lyta went, the Vorlon was sure to go.

Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby DancingStormTrooper » Fri May 18, 2012 3:53 am

I think they should just use Kickstarter, to get the funds and work on Dystopia 2. Hell, it would be amazing to see it on a new engine. I reinstalled Dystopia the other day, and I really did feel the game has aged quite a bit. I still think three things that lead to this game's downfall was Elitism in the community, It's very complex (a well established single player that could take someone through the motions that are required), The lack of stress relief (unbalanced teams, lack of dynamic maps.)

oh and ha-ha the fact that the game was made for free... I don't know how people make games with the sense of entitlement gamers seem to have. Let, alone doing it for free.

One thing on the lack of maps and unbalanced teams, and I could be the only one who felt this way but, I always saw the answer to unbalanced teams as giving the losing team a handicapped advantaged.

I always pictured it to be like a stress relief bar for the losing team. Where if the other team was dominating well enough, then something like a "tank is spawning" mechanism in L4D2 could be given to the best K/D player on the losing team.

Regards, to a lack of maps? I think because of the complexity of the maps balancing must be insanely difficult. I think L4D2 holds the answer again, by creating maps that benefit the weaker team dynamically. I also, wish the maps each had for aesthetic reasons only a Corp version and Punk version. Same Layout, different theme.

http://pcg.wikidot.com/pcg-algorithm:ad ... difficulty

TL;DR

Adaptive Difficulty for Multiplayer, A Strong Tutorial Single Player, and 5 million dollars to fund it all.
They called me crazy, I called them crazy, and damn them! They outvoted me! - Nathaniel Lee
DancingStormTrooper
PHAN
PHAN

Postby KindredPhantom » Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

I would say you are largely correct there DancingStormTrooper about the three downfalls of Dystopia. We are already working on one game, Blade Symphony so all our focus is on that. Dystopia may one day have it's day again, I am sure there are people who would love to revisit it.
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

Postby bauxite » Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

We are going to see a dys2 on the Half-Life 3 engine right :P
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby KindredPhantom » Sat May 19, 2012 7:33 am

Nah, it will be on GldSrc.
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

Postby DancingStormTrooper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:44 pm

I was wondering... would it be all too difficult if someone made a fan tutorial? (pun not intended.) If it was of high enough quality could it be included in dystopia? I was thinking of something like the carrington institute mode in perfect dark 64.
They called me crazy, I called them crazy, and damn them! They outvoted me! - Nathaniel Lee
DancingStormTrooper
PHAN
PHAN

Postby kameroti » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi DancingStormTrooper,

For a new Tutorial as well as how to make your own content, check out the custom content area:

http://punyhumangames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=20596

While my own custom map is mothballed, I'm still able and interested in the creation of new maps. Let me know if you have any ideas you'd like to explore...!

-- Kameroti
(I'm not rotten, just very well aged!)
kameroti

Postby DancingStormTrooper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Actually Kameroti... from what I read in another thread Dystopia might be impossible to make a decent tutorial for because of it's design flaws. I think an engine switch and a tactical retreat on content might be needed for a Dystopia Re:boot. I really wish I could see a Dystopia 2 :/ anyways add me on steam: "Sn0wwofywrm" is my ID and Kameroti we can talk.
DancingStormTrooper
PHAN
PHAN

Postby K7-Avenger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:04 am

DancingStormTrooper wrote:tactical retreat on content

No, No, No, No, No
K7-Avenger
PHAN
PHAN

Postby merodoc » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:58 pm

funny you should mention fan tutorials as i was about to make a few videos explaining dystopia and how to play and hopefully even get new revenue of players for the game if you want to see them the channel is MerodocWeb
merodoc
Blank Load Out

Postby charlestheoaf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Dystopia is definitely my favorite multiplayer game, overall.
charlestheoaf
higher post count

Postby Omnigord » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 am

I know this blueeire dude is probably never going to read this. But if you do, man, join the Dystopia Pickup Games steam group.

PUGs still happen fairly frequently and always need players.

One good, balanced, competitive round of dystopia 5v5 can easily be the best gaming you get all month.
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Return to Dystopia Discussion