So, after playing OBtopia for a few days, I noticed that my in-game name (which was different from my Steam Name) had defaulted to my Steam name. Knowing that the OB engine sets in-game names to Steam names, I used setinfo name to change my name. A few rounds later, I noticed that it had defaulted back yet again. Puzzled, I set changed again with setinfo, this time taking note of how long it remained changed. Apparently setinfo stops working after a new map loads, or you connect to a server.
So, I had a thought. *Cue Windows 7 commercial-like effects*
"There should be a script that executes when the map loads!"
What if there was a script like "onpreforms.cfg" that functions similar to the onpreforms function in most IRC clients. It doesn't start when the client loads, but rather when it finishes connecting to a server.
- Could be used to change names without having to manually execute a script.
- Could be used to auto-authenticate to servers if needed
- Could be used to set functions that may only be set when joining a server
- Could technically be hijacked to disconnect a user as they join a server
--You could also just put "quit prompt" in valve.rc and do more damage.
- Could be hijacked to screw up settings upon joining server.
- Could be read by a 3rd party on a remote machine to gain passwords if the system is comprimised
--Dude. If someone hacked your PC, they're not gonna just go after a password to one server in one (little-known about) game.