template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

Drafted teams tournament #2 May 8th

Starting a new clan? Want strategies and tips for playing better?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Drafted teams tournament #2 May 8th

Postby Hyphen-ated » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:12 pm

The first one was an amazing success, so let's do another!
This time instead of a two week gap between the draft and the tournament, there will be a one day gap. The draft will be at noon pacific time (7 pm GMT) on Saturday, May 7th, and the tournament will be at 10 am pacific time (5 pm GMT) on Sunday, May 8th.

The first tournament took slightly under five hours to play all the matches.

On Saturday the captains will meet up and pick teams. This takes about an hour. You don't have to show up if you're not a captain, but you can if you want to get excited about the event and see how the teams end up! Also there will be a pug immediately after the picking.

On Sunday the teams will battle it out single-elimination style, with back-to-back matches until it's done!

Post in the thread or talk to me on steam if you want to play! If you sign up, you're committing to show up on Sunday the 7th at 10 am Pacific time (5 pm GMT), and to be there potentially 4-5 hours if your team makes it to the finals.

The deadline for signing up is the moment the draft starts, at noon pacific time on Saturday.

Player list:
    Hyphen-ated
    Savior
    -Yoru
    bear_glue
    Kommissar Chi
    BigToeCommando
    Dex
    MarvinPA
    Bauxite
    Random but not
    St. Michael
    Gimnbo
    Viz
    Warsprite
    Crimson
    Smaug
    Wckdneer
    Premium Orange
    Vez
    Muted
    B-it-e-y
    Tope
    Plasma-Beast
    Iron Raja
    WILDMAN
    MistaBaux
    Reach
    Bane
    Mee
    -Relentless
    Infinity
    Taara
    k9
    Spire
    EKILLER
    Cook
    trigger_hurt
    Intruder
    Cognitium
    Neon Girl
    Reason
Hyphen-ated
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Re: Drafted teams tournament #2 May 8th

Postby Viz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:20 pm

yea ill play this time

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Viz
Viz
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Smaug » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Excellent.

We are hoping to do more casting, now with some experience under our belts, this should be a bit better composed. As normal, you can listen to us in Mumble live, join us in STV or watch the Stream live (www.justin.tv/dystopialeague - favourite us!), or if you can't make it, we will be uploading all matches to youtube after some editing.

Will do an announcement of some sort with more time for the word to spread, but do get your friends and families to watch and so forth!

As a note, we are looking to improve the stream quality, as well as some neat graphics and HUD info on the stream, which will also be put on the Youtube videos.

We shall link to all the matches on youtube as soon as editing and uploading is done.

May I ask, is there potential for this to be more organized somehow? Alot of games were delayed by almost an hour, and I do believe alot of time spent was merely waiting :(
Marvin the Paranoid Android dancing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUT7pmTIdCo
Smaug

Postby Hyphen-ated » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm not sure how those delays can be avoided. I tell some people to go into a server and it somehow takes them a half hour to do it.
Hyphen-ated
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby bauxite » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:06 pm

any way to break up the tournament into smaller parts, or half maybe?

so the longest anyone has to be around is about 2.5 hours.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby obj » Sun May 01, 2011 1:32 am

No can do chief, clashes with sigather!
I will wear only black and white and hide in the alleys on Saturday nights.
__
-Is that for the pain?
-No. This causes paralysis. There is nothing for the pain.
obj
higher post count

Postby ocun » Sun May 01, 2011 6:55 am

this is cool
how are the players picked? i could maybe provide some support for that on the DGL
like you paste a list of playernames and captains could pick in turn from that list, list gets dynamically updated
interested?
ocun

Postby bluemirage » Sun May 01, 2011 6:57 am

smells like pup ★!

I love it!
bluemirage
PHAN
PHAN

Postby UsefulId|ot » Sun May 01, 2011 3:12 pm

sry it'll be mother's day and i'll be too busy visiting each of your mothers...so i cant play :twisted:

i'll still set sludge into Tournament Edition (running dgl script as default config)
UsefulId|ot
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Hyphen-ated » Sun May 01, 2011 3:53 pm

ocun wrote:this is cool
how are the players picked? i could maybe provide some support for that on the DGL
like you paste a list of playernames and captains could pick in turn from that list, list gets dynamically updated
interested?

That sounds rad.

In the first tournament, the pick order went from top to bottom, then it jumped to the top again for the second round of picks. In the second tournament, it's going to go top to bottom and then go again from bottom to top in the second round. This might change again in future drafts, so I guess it would be best for the website to just let any captain pick at any time.

It would be cool for the player list to actually link to their DGL accounts, so captains can easily look up stats when they are choosing between players they don't know very well.
Hyphen-ated
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Savior » Sun May 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Hyphen-ated wrote:Drafted teams tournament #2 May 8th

Adding a "#2" doesn't make it not vez's idea. This was still vez's idea.
Savior
PHAN
PHAN

Postby ocun » Mon May 02, 2011 5:17 am

Hyphen-ated wrote:In the first tournament, the pick order went from top to bottom, then it jumped to the top again for the second round of picks. In the second tournament, it's going to go top to bottom and then go again from bottom to top in the second round. This might change again in future drafts, so I guess it would be best for the website to just let any captain pick at any time.

It would be cool for the player list to actually link to their DGL accounts, so captains can easily look up stats when they are choosing between players they don't know very well.

sounds good
for the playerstats i'll do a simple search on the stats page for each given playername, i wouldn't want to force everyone to create a DGL account or give a steamID, too much hassle
only captains will need to have an account and login
ocun

Postby Savior » Tue May 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Khalid is in. (Yes he's confirmed for the time).

Code: Select all
4:15 PM - Savior: ok
4:15 PM - Savior: i'll go sign you up
4:15 PM - k9   <3 xreve: k
4:16 PM - k9   <3 xreve: w/e my savior says
4:16 PM - k9   <3 xreve: :D
Savior
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Aushtara » Tue May 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Circumstances have changed! I can play!!
Aushtara
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Wckdneer » Wed May 04, 2011 12:29 am

UsefulId|ot wrote:i'll still set sludge into Tournament Edition (running dgl script as default config)

Does that mean my game wont switch to dys_failcast 3minutes before the end? (although we lost anyway :< it's the thought that counts)
the funkmaster: i don't care too much for a case by case system, but i'm never going to go first strike you're out

!kevin: she said she didn't use a wallhack, and I believe her
Wckdneer
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Leviticus » Wed May 04, 2011 1:08 am

There is a big difference between organized matches and pubs. If you have a problem being told what to play, don't play in a competitive tournament. If telling you not to play a Heavy Rocket Launcher on attack makes me a 15-year-old bullshitting wannabe nerd, then so be it.

P.S. I let you play what you wanted in our match for the most part, even though I didn't want to. I wasn't rude and could have been a lot more disrespectful if I wanted to. Turns out that you seem to have no problem with being disrespectful to me, though.
Leviticus

Postby obj » Wed May 04, 2011 12:36 pm

I should be able to sub in the first two rounds if needed.
__
-Is that for the pain?
obj
higher post count

Postby Cook » Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I'll be there.

Not cap'n.
Cook
PHAN
PHAN

Postby obj » Wed May 04, 2011 1:52 pm

raven666wings wrote:huh? oh is this the guy who was "captain" for my team? hey bro how you doing, i dont know why you got spiked, this comment wasn't going your way ROFL well i dont normally play rocket launcher on attack but im pretty sure even if i did i could own your ass LOL anyway its not my fault that people cannot think for themselves and need to have others tell em how to think and what to do. Personally i live my life my way and think for myself. Seems like you and the other people who play that "competitive tournament" LOL are really used to be manipulated and repressed by others and cannot act and think by yourselves. i think you should try to be free persons instead of trying to boss or be bossed around. An organized team does not necessarily need to have a captian or leader if all the members know what they want, which should be accomplish a common goal. you got a brain, use it, dont have others use it for you.
I really hate people who dont know what they want and how to live free, got that sugar? cool, have fun in your organized tournament
ATRwar.jpg

I know nothing of how Leviticus organizes teams, but it seems to me you are overantagonizing.

The way I usually try to do things is to have a twopronged approach where the first part is to look at the strengths of the team, people should always be allowed to play to their strengths and do stuff they feel comfortable doing. However after looking at strengths you have to see if there are certain jobs that need to be done to play the map. Then you try to piece the two together, taking into account player psychology and so. Quite often you find that the skills and the "jobs" don't really fit. And then you can either redefine the job, finding something the player can do that plays more to his skill but still puts you in a decent place in the map, or you can ask the player to redefine their skill and attempt something they are uncomfortable with but has a general level of efficiency that is better than anything they can accomplish with their native skillset.

Well. The goal of the team leader in a sort of but not really competitive (we're not playing for money) game like this is to try to find a way that will allow his players to have fun as much as possible together. You have 5 different people with completely different psychologies and you try to maximize the total amount of "fun" that this group will experience. And many people think that the sort of social experience that lies in trying to work together towards a goal makes up a fairly big piece of the fun. In fact, you are in an environment that is designed as a collective experience, and working in isolation from the whole group or part of the group makes many people frustrated.

Well. You are right in some ways. But it seems you are a bit too stressed by the whole situation, if you ask me it is not so exceptional as you seem to think.
__
-Is that for the pain?
obj
higher post count

Postby bauxite » Wed May 04, 2011 2:15 pm

philosophical debates, mmm yum.

i understand what you're saying raven, im just interested to know your opinion on what would happen if everyone wants to play light for example?

the team would probably get owned, the only way teams like that work without a leader is if people adapt to the situation, and then somebody will have to do something they might not want to, for example play ion heavy to help the team in thier common goal.

anyway GL HF.

the tournament is interesting and fun, im not worried about winning or losing, just having a decent match.

any word if the event can be split into smaller parts? i might not be able to stay for like 5 hours (doubt i will have to, but some people might) its quite a long time to play all the matches, even if things go perfectly.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby trigger_hurt » Wed May 04, 2011 3:10 pm

aww isn't he cute.
in btw.
trigger_hurt
PHAN
PHAN

Postby obj » Thu May 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Well, you are hardly the first one to get overly excited about things in this world. But I don't think you really have any solutions. I'm not entirely sure, but I think a recognized leadership with a low degree of opacity is good. Having no formal leadership can sound good when I'm in an anarchistic mood, but it seems it would just lead to informal leaders and groups that create the same amount of social repression as whichever totalitarian state you feel like referring to today. Of course, as long as you are part of the group it is no problem. But I don't think there is any real good environment for free thinking that can be created for mankind in this universe. But it seems we have been able to make do at least something with what we have.
__
-Is that for the pain?
obj
higher post count

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Thu May 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Aaaand back on topic (sorry if some posts are a bit out of context now :P).
<the_funkmaster> does lez dream of ELCRETIC SHPEE?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
higher post count

Postby 0rion » Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 pm

I would like to participate this weekend. My name is cognitium.
0rion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby ocun » Fri May 06, 2011 7:46 pm

this is what i came up with:

someone creates a 'playerlist', he will be the (only) owner of that list
the owner can add players (by pasting a simple text list of playernames in a form) and captains (people with a DGL account)
all the captains can pick players from the unassigned players (right column), these are added to their team (left column)
a pick history is shown
the owner can undo picks (makes them unassigned again) or delete captains etc.

current drawbacks:
currently the page refreshes every 20 seconds, but i might change it to Ajax (so refreshes are much faster and less annoying)
you still need to communicate who's turn it is to pick

you can play around with it at http://dystopia-league.net/playerlists
have fun!
ocun

Next

Return to Dystopia Competitive Play