template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

Don't hug the walls

Starting a new clan? Want strategies and tips for playing better?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Don't hug the walls

Postby avv » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Just don't it's no good for anyone.
Basically always make sure to keep a small distance from walls so that teamies can travel behind you instead from the front of your sights. That applies when fighting or expecting a fight very soon.
avv

Re: Don't hug the walls

Postby trigger_hurt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Yes minions, line up so master avv can rocket you propperly.

Also, reminds me of this: Dear Sock - a noob friendly picture book
trigger_hurt
PHAN
PHAN

Postby murphy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:41 pm

wouldn't it really depend on the weapon since you want to definitely hug walls (in this diagram) if you're LR where if you're shotgun you're not going to want to do that
murphy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby metzgrr! » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Dossent make sense to me, if you stay close to the wall instead of walking in the middle of the corridor you give your teammates more space, no?
metzgrr!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Omnigord » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:36 pm

That is if you stay near the wall and don't go out farther, you teammates need to cross in front of your fire.

If you don't stay near the wall, they can pass behind you.
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Hyphen-ated » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:22 am

Omnigord wrote:That is if you stay near the wall and don't go out farther, you teammates need to cross in front of your fire.

And then you're in their fire, why is that any better?
Hyphen-ated
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Omnigord » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Hyphen-ated wrote:
Omnigord wrote:That is if you stay near the wall and don't go out farther, you teammates need to cross in front of your fire.

And then you're in their fire, why is that any better?

I guess the idea is that you are already out and firing; So it is better for them to pass behind you. Because they can see you and can begin firing once they have moved passed you.
As opposed to suddenly popping out in your field of vision and risking friendly fire.
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby yarg » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 am

You are forgetting the strafe-strafe I Thinks.

ps. It's always better to use the outer curve so that you shoot friendlies instead of friendlies shooting you.

pps. Unless there's good spammer in which case you should go after the teammates have eaten nades and such.

ppps. Unless there's lots of spam in which case it doesn't matter what you do.

pppps. Walls need love too.
Spammebo ergo sum.
yarg
PHAN
PHAN

Postby avv » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:47 am

Here's example of typical bad room defense:
I've seen it countless of times: people squeze against walls out of some paranoia. As if they tried to make sure that nobody is going to attack them from behind. But in reality you'd just better leave some space behind you so that teammates can manouvre without crossing your line of fire.

metzgrr! wrote:Dossent make sense to me, if you stay close to the wall instead of walking in the middle of the corridor you give your teammates more space, no?

When you're moving a straight hallway where the possible threath comes right from the front it's actually all the same where you are. But when the direction of threath is from left or right, people tend to position in the way shown in the first post. They glue themselves against the outer wall.

yarg wrote:You are forgetting the strafe-strafe I Thinks.

That's differend story.
avv

Postby metzgrr! » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 am

avv wrote:Here's example of typical bad room defense:
I've seen it countless of times: people squeze against walls out of some paranoia. As if they tried to make sure that nobody is going to attack them from behind. But in reality you'd just better leave some space behind you so that teammates can manouvre without crossing your line of fire.

People do it go get a good angle. No weapon used for "room defense" favors close range except ion. Sometimes hugging walls is a bad idea sometimes its a good idea. Dystopia is a far to situational game, and making generalizations like this is silly.

Lets look at an actual scenario.

The gl has an optimal travel distance for his nades, he also have time to go katana if he gets katana rushed.

The gl´s nade wont even explode, and he has no time to go katana if needed.
metzgrr!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Mice! » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Don't forget that rockets and nades explode on/near walls.
*next post*
Don't forget that a decent rocket or GL will try to hit you or the ground in front of you with their projectile.
*me again*
well hurr durr, but it makes it harder for them and easier for your team when ur awff teh wall.
Mice!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby metzgrr! » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:17 pm

If the conversation comes to a point where someone starts to argue with himself I think thats proof making generalisations like this is silly.
metzgrr!
PHAN
PHAN

Return to Dystopia Competitive Play