template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

Bunnyhopping - the Nostalgia, the Technique, the Evolution

Starting a new clan? Want strategies and tips for playing better?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Bunnyhopping - the Nostalgia, the Technique, the Evoluti

Postby Luffy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Nord wrote:
yarg wrote:I've seen many opinions about bhop, but am I the only one who thinks it's fun? I hope they won't change it too much in 1.3 because right now it's just so damn fun. Especially hopping down the ramp in vaccine and then speeding through the lower levels of map. Fun. When you finally manage to find the flow and bhop through a map avoiding all the tiny nooks, doorways and such you usually get stuck on. Fun. Backhopping away from some rushing katana'er and shooting him in the head. Fun.

So what are your thoughts on this, is bunnyhopping fun?

Good post! It is definitely more fun and creates a new challenge. (I think you meant to say fortress though :D )

No, it's boring because it removes the complex geometry of the map.
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby yarg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes, I meant fortress.

No, it's boring because it removes the complex geometry of the map.

Could you elaborate please?
Spammebo ergo sum.
yarg
PHAN
PHAN

Postby bauxite » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 pm

i think what he means is the tactical elememt to the game, as in one of murphy's quotes by thresh.

faster speeds, change the direction of the game, it becomes more about reflexes, aiming skill etc, while this is a good thing, i believe it still needs a balance.

a slower paced game aka, NT, CSS, rainbow six, STILL have elements of reflexes, aiming skill, etc but to a slightly lesser extent, but also push the gameplay towards a more strategic and tactical angle.

bhop and insane speeds might work well in deathmatch, but speed is abolsutely crucial and balance changing in a game such as dys, therefore it needs to be clearly defined and any ways to increase it beyond the class limits need to be limited and also intuative to do, and also scale more linearly with skill.

right now, its more like you can bhop or you cant, whereas clearly there arent people who have skill and those that don't, so if we are going to make increases in speed pretty much necessary for the gameplay, it must scale better like aim does, easy to learn, intuative, hard to master, but has limits too.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Luffy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Maybe for joker it's fun, but I personally don't really like bouncing around at super speed, running into someone with ion (or another weapon), then simply dancing around as if we were fighting in one large open space. Furthermore, all of the maneuvers that you listed can be accomplished with circle jumping. The geometry of the map (including doors and corners and spaces you seem to want to avoid) can be turned into your advantage, and makes for a much more interesting game than just zooming into each other full tilt and firing.

And, of course, if you then go on to say 'but killy we only use bunnyhop to travel' .... well then.
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby yarg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 pm

My bad, I was thinking of bunnyhopping as a large term for any sort of hopping that makes you go faster. I personally use circle/strafejumping/bhopping or whatever feels like the best movement for that moment.
Bhopping is used only for travel and the initial contact. If in combat circle/strafejumping is better(if worth using at all).
And in your example if 2 people get contact after bhopping they can still use these strategic points if they don't die right away. Infact, they can still use these strategic things with any sort of movement speeding things. They just need to be faster as the enemy can move fast too. Anticipation and quick-thinking just get a larger role and I don't think that is bad.

I'm confused now, are you saying bhopping is bad but circlejumping isn't? Or are you saying all sorts of hopping that let's you gain high speed is bad? Or are you saying that it's bad when the strategic chokepoint is stormed through with bhopping (because there isn't enough spam dystopia).

There should be a catch-all phrase for bhop/cjump/strafejump. I think some people are talking about bhopping when they say bhop and other are using the word bhop for ALL movement boosts of that type.
Spammebo ergo sum.
yarg
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Luffy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:18 pm

No, I'm saying there's more to the game than simply techniques that allow you to move fast in a linear fashion.

As for spam and spawncamping, it hugely defines dystopia. I don't know how the game will adapt to having traditional chokepoints broken.
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby trigger_hurt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:11 pm

I guess it's a matter of taste and playstyle then.
I get annoyed by area denial and find advanced movement techniques fun. And yes, i do often find myself recklessly rushing into someones face.
To me it always seemed as if dystopia catered to lots of different playstyles, mine included.
trigger_hurt
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Omnigord » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:47 am

Luffy wrote: I don't know how the game will adapt to having traditional chokepoints broken.

Did they add some sort of super-bhop that lets you take over the airlock while I wasn't looking?
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Luffy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Did the airlock become representative of every single chokepoint while I wasn't looking?

Also, a good spammer sets up chokepoints where he wants. He doesn't have to use the geometry of the map.
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Omnigord » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Meatgrinder is the most "traditional" chokepoint there is in Dystopia.

What exactly is threatening to break these traditional chokepoints?
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Luffy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Bhop?
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Omnigord » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:47 pm

But there has always been bhop.

As long as the chokepoints have existed, there has been bhop.

Is bhopping getting a huge buff that I wasn't aware of?
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Previous

Return to Dystopia Competitive Play