template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

The Rocket Launcher

Starting a new clan? Want strategies and tips for playing better?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Rocket Launcher

Postby Mr.Coffee » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:58 pm

I don't know why everyone says this gun is broken. I've never had so much fun just playing Dystopia. Blowing up those damned lights has never been so satisfying.

Here we go. Always have the legboosters, since you usually want to run away to your teammates. Never use the secondary fire, ever. As with most guns in Dystopia you want to stick with your teammates, cause if you miss while you solo you are fornicated. Get in the habit of automatically switching to your machine pistol and sprinting at the same time. Use this weapon to shoot around corners and above/below ledges.

While with your teammates, you want to say near the front. Since half the skill of this gun is knowing when to shoot, it is better if allies are out of your view. Focus on lights and mediums. The rocket will one hit k.o. a light and usually severely injure a medium. Once you fired a rocket, switch to your mp to finish them. Heavies are a problem though, the rocket and mp combination are not enough(I tried on an unaware heavy). If you encounter a heavy(without your allies), use the rocket and run away while using the mp.

Close range. Being a heavy you start out with lots of armor and health. Use this to your advantage, nuke the motherfucker when he/she gets close. Don't give them a chance to katana you.

Watching duels. First, take a quick look around(and use heat vision if you have it). You don't want to shoot the rocket until there is a decided winner.
Mr.Coffee
Street Samurai

Re: The Rocket Launcher

Postby Cpt Cosmic » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:49 am

you are wrong. rocket heavy is useless close to the frontlines and secondary is your best friend. the most important part of the rocket is to weaken your enemy, not insta gib lights, altough killing LR lights might be a good idea.

the whole point of the rocket is a defensive playing style.

also close range, use corners and doors. fire around corners, use spiders between reload, force them to come to you allowing you to phist them.
Cpt Cosmic
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Ansob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:03 am

It's not broken, it's just boring as fuck.
Ansob
higher post count

Postby metzgrr! » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:12 am

Its not boring as fuck, Its to weak.
metzgrr!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby bauxite » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:20 pm

metzgrr! wrote:Its not boring as fuck, Its to weak.

its both.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Neon Girl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Depending on the music you've got playing, RL can either be the absolute most fun you can have with the heavy (Faithless) or the most broing thing in the game (Michael Buble) Instagibbing lights is pretty damn fun. Especially if you can get behind them :P
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Postby bauxite » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Neon Girl wrote:Depending on the music you've got playing, RL can either be the absolute most fun you can have with the heavy (Faithless) or the most broing thing in the game (Michael Buble) Instagibbing lights is pretty damn fun. Especially if you can get behind them :P

no, rocket used to be fun, now its just lame.

i dont get whats so wrong about instagibbing mediums, those pesky mediums shouldnt have all the power!

so in that way atleast heavy had a use with firepower and like the massive reload time of rocket but now its just lucky if you can kill anything.

thats why its always medium, spam spam spam, in 5v5....and no more rawket rush to capture docks :(
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Mr.Coffee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Cpt Cosmic wrote:you are wrong. rocket heavy is useless close to the frontlines...

You are in the frontlines. You fire, run away to the safety of your team...repeat.
Mr.Coffee
Street Samurai

Postby muted » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:47 pm

I don't see how this would work now.. you can't steer the rocket for shit since the patch.

you've just wasted a rocket.. I mean, I enjoy noobing with rocket lawnchair on offense like anyone but there's no real map I can see it being useful, except rocketing from spawn on detonate... I wouldn't say that's useful but it's annoying to either team.
muted

Postby Mr.Coffee » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:00 pm

muted wrote:I don't see how this would work now.. you can't steer the rocket for shit since the patch.

you've just wasted a rocket.. I mean, I enjoy noobing with rocket lawnchair on offense like anyone but there's no real map I can see it being useful, except rocketing from spawn on detonate... I wouldn't say that's useful but it's annoying to either team.

It is not really effecting in particularly any map. Stick with your team, retreat when you fire. Fyi the rocket is steered by your mouse when you use the primary fire.
Mr.Coffee
Street Samurai

Postby muted » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm talking about how the rockets were in previous version, right now, right clicking comes with a linear regression in movement speed... you could fly it around forever in v1.

now you can turn sharp corners but you just can't go as far.
muted

Postby Cpt Cosmic » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 am

Mr.Coffee wrote:
Cpt Cosmic wrote:you are wrong. rocket heavy is useless close to the frontlines...

You are in the frontlines. You fire, run away to the safety of your team...repeat.

you fire and you explode because [insert random weapon] hit your rocket. even stupid asslocks can blow up your rocket with a lucky hit.

if you fire around corners far behind this will NEVER happen to you. worst thing that can happen is:
-a leg booted light/med outruns your missiles and explodes => his own fault, learn to legboost in right moments
-you launch a rocket in a stealthed mate => nothing you can do about it
-or you just suck and hit your team => learn to fire in the right moments and steer your rocket

but atleast you wont blow up yourself and everyone around you.

if you want to fire and run to safety, just take a GL med or ION heavy, does it much better. and if you want to blow up your own team alot, GL does better too :roll:
Cpt Cosmic
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Omnigord » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:52 am

This only, and most important, thing to remember while using the RL is that you should not be using the RL.

The phist is your primary weapon. Rocket is just a comedy option, like goomba.
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby aaaaaa50 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:24 pm

WTF Necro?

If you want to complain about the RL, it happened already. It's over.

http://www.dystopia-game.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19163&start=50
aaaaaa50
Decker

Postby Omnigord » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:27 pm

aaaaaa50 wrote:WTF Necro?

I think this was still on the first page, I didn't check the date. :oops:
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Mice! » Thu May 13, 2010 1:35 pm

This is a good guide, if not for anything but the fact that rocket is only used on pubs (very rarely on DGL).
Good, that is, for getting funtastic frags with rocket. I love getting lights in the face with some pyro and then punchin' another's head off before reloading. And last time a got a double kill i think i gizzed my pants. It's just that fun.
Mice!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby lancetekk » Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 am

Mice! wrote:i think i gizzed my pants

hot air maybe....
lancetekk
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Analogy » Fri May 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Way to necro a thread from two thousand and fucking nine.
[20:59] <+Kevinkantaja> Analogy is pr0
Analogy

Postby Apathy » Fri May 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Mice! wrote:This is a good guide, if not for anything but the fact that rocket is only used on pubs (very rarely on DGL).
Good, that is, for getting funtastic frags with rocket. I love getting lights in the face with some pyro and then punchin' another's head off before reloading. And last time a got a double kill i think i gizzed my pants. It's just that fun.

Way to necro and on a Mr. Coffee's guide too.

May want to take your signatures advice :|
Kevinkantaja: IT'S NOT MY FAULT THIS ISN'T A WORLD FOR AN EMOTIONAL MALE
Omnigord: Puny Human Forums: New look, new game, same McMuffin.
Apathy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Mice! » Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Oh piss off
Mice!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby ViralHatred » Thu May 27, 2010 4:09 pm

RL Secondary still sucks though. I've stopped using it since they patched it.
ViralHatred

Postby Pyroguy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:22 am

RL secondary is still the only way to use RL.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby aaaaaa50 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 am

Pyroguy wrote:RL secondary is still the only way to use RL.

aaaaaa50
Decker

Postby Aushtara » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:48 pm

No really. Pyro is right. Currently the rocket's primary is crap. It'll randomly fly past people and you have no control over when it explodes. This means if you miss with the primary, its no damage and game over. At least with the secondary you can explode it and do some damage in midair if you overshoot your target. I take your double face palm and throw it right back in your face.
Aushtara
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:57 am

You do see the simple solution, don't you? Drop the laser-guided primary and have it be a dumbfire missile. Aim at the person, aim at a wall, aim at the ground, nice and simple. Leave the secondary as it is, and you're all set.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Return to Dystopia Competitive Play