template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

Dystopia's Future

Dystopia news posts by the Puny Human developers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Dystopia's Future

Postby nankunain » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Saw some folks chatting in game about the update, and i didn't really take it seriously. But now that I read it here i have to say im very excited for a new update. Been playing dystopia since it first came out and been playing off and on since. Hated seeing it die like it did for awhile there but hopefully this will breath new life into one of my favorite games. A bit of honesty though (take it with a grain of salt), Blade symphony doesnt look like it will be that great....how about spending more resources on dystopia :D.
nankunain
PHAN
PHAN

Postby TheLolrus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 pm

What are you talking about, even in the old beta Blade Symphony was awesome.
Ansob wrote:This is what I've been reduced to? I don't even get capitals in "PR!" :cry:
TheLolrus
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Aurion » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:01 am

5 LR users shooting everything that moves, and a lot of stuff that's not moving? Or similar. Or where the objectives themselves boring?
Lyta had a little Vorlon, her skin was pale as snow. And everywhere that Lyta went, the Vorlon was sure to go.

Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Cut Throat » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:31 pm

That's awesome news!
Cut Throat
Operative

Postby avv » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Nice to know.

Nerf lr and longkatana.
avv

Postby nankunain » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:45 am

TheLolrus wrote:What are you talking about, even in the old beta Blade Symphony was awesome.

Didnt want to be that guy that talks shit about a product made by a company i like, but i do not find blade symphony entertaining in any way. Its like a pc version of a mortal kombat rip off to be honest. Look all im saying is the money could be better spent advancing on dystopia or maybe a sequel to the game that made us all know this companies name in the first place, thats all.

A better way to look at it would be to look at the success of games like Natural Selection 2, started as a mod but has been exceedingly successful by creating off of that platform that got them fame in the first place. All i can really say is id like to see more time and effort spent on a great game than a sub-par game.
nankunain
PHAN
PHAN

Postby nankunain » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 am

No rebuttal ill go ahead and assume you all agree with me. But in case you dont heres a couple reasons why you should.

1. No company ever got big by abandoning their most viable project.
2. Blade symphony lacks that oomph factor (would you guess oomph is actually a word)
3. Many die-hard players I talk to in game agree with me but are too scared to say anything to insult the developers.
4. Dystopia is probably one of the best games developed, but one of the worst marketed projects in the history of gaming. (TIP to developers: Give your customers perks for marketing your project for you and make it easy for them, yes there was a press kit but you can do better than a couple of .jpg's)
5. Again I reiterate Blade Symphony will NOT make any money it is something that has been done, as opposed to Dystopia which is an original concept that STILL to this day brings new players. Hell i was in a game today that had 10 new players that had obviously never played before.
6.Maybe a small amount of single player content, just to get it into the new players heads how to play the game, noone wants to play a tutorial but people will play even the slightest amount of single player content.

You cant put your number 1 project on the back burner even if you think some new project i.e. Blade Symphony will bring you money or admiration. You already have the attention of a ton of gamers from Dystopia...keep our attention.....update it .....refine it.....hell charge $5 for new maps we will pay it. The reason it has died is we have not had any updates or feel you are making the effort to fix problems ( one off the top of my head would be being able to see the ICE alarm shadow in cyber) you want to make money as a company, FINE, we understand that, but give us the product we want and deserve.

-end rant
nankunain
PHAN
PHAN

Postby twincannon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:44 am

nankunain wrote:No rebuttal ill go ahead and assume you all agree with me. But in case you dont heres a couple reasons why you should.

No one is abandoning Dystopia, but as a group we are trying to make it to "the next level". Where we can eventually make a sequel. Dystopia is in a tough spot because we can't make any money off of it (we certainly wouldn't be able to pull a supporter system like we used to have with how much monetization has changed in the past several years), but we need some way to get revenue flowing. We're hoping bsym (and potentially other games?!) will start solving that issue. As well, people are honing their skills and becoming super talented which will help to make whatever we do in the future even better. It's kind of silly how much our artists especially have evolved.

Was jumping head first into another "small" (in our minds at the time) 3D source engine project the best idea? Maybe not, but hey, we're new at this. :p (fun fact: there was at least one other cancelled project between dys and bsym)

We know how important the dystopia community is, and not just as some potential customer base. Without dys, there would be no phg. The very least we can do is keep updates coming to the game for you guys who have been keeping this thing going with pubs and pugs and everything. It's crazy to me as well with how many new people still find their way to the game, I just wish there was something I could do even faster to get the game more newbie-friendly. Thinking of how revitalized the community could be right now if probably 80%+ of the new guys weren't turned away immediately by the complete lack of help/information makes me both excited and sick to my stomach.

Also, it's funny how many of the guys are jealous of me working on Dys again.

And yes, we're awful at PR/marketing. Something we're trying to improve, as always, but we're terrible. It's kind of silly that most of the media opportunities dys has gotten have been people coming to us, lol
twincannon
Puny Human staff

Postby K7-Avenger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 am

Good although somewhat extreme/exaggerated points by nankunain, with a good, honest answer from Twin.

I too am a little confused why Dys wasn't pursued. When I saw the most Recent news about Blade Symphony I was excited to see PH was still around and the future of Dys might be looking up. As Twin has pointed out, this might mean the future of Dys is brighter with the experience gained from developing Blade Symphony commercially.
Last edited by K7-Avenger on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
K7-Avenger
PHAN
PHAN

Postby TheLolrus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm

nankunain wrote:No rebuttal ill go ahead and assume you all agree with me.

Please don't just assume things. These aren't the most active forums anyway.
Ansob wrote:This is what I've been reduced to? I don't even get capitals in "PR!" :cry:
TheLolrus
PHAN
PHAN

Postby lamer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 am

What a pleasant surprise! I've logged into this board the first time since ages just to find out these great news were presented a few days ago.

Dystopia is and will always be the best game out there :D
Would you like some lemons with that?
lamer
PHAN
PHAN

Postby nankunain » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks Twin for putting into perspective for me and admitting faults in an honest and coherent way. I dont mean to come off as an a-hole, its just frustrating that crap mods have over 100 people playing at anytime and dystopia has been reduced to having only 3 servers up and maybe 20 actives players. Dont know if you guys have talked with the developers of Desura (mod community with a program like steam) about maybe showcasing dystopia. Ive searched their mods database and cannot find it on there....could be a good way to get some more players, would be worth the try. If a game like "No More Room In Hell" can get a serious following then dystopia could do twice as well on their system, its easy to submit it and im almost certain its free.

actually just looked at it you only need to publish it since its already on moddb :roll:
nankunain
PHAN
PHAN

Postby nanonymous » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 am

Accidentally opened some random link from IRC and what do I see... Awesome news!

I hope that update will lure more players for Dys.
nanonymous
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Dredhorse » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm

twin... you are awesome... just posted in a thread http://www.spout.org/threads/most-underrated-game.6112 of the most underrated game in history... and clicked on news afterwards...

wonder if I can still play Dystopia, and I really wonder if it will run well enough in fusion.

I for sure looking forward to play again when 1.4 comes out or even during a beta... it's nice to see all the known names again...

have a good christmas (even if it is hot) and a happy new year...
OH. btw: I'm normally NOT in these forums anymore, so if you want something from me you need to PM me.

Dredhorse
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Meester » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:42 am

I havn't played Dystopia for some time, but how about Kickstarting Dystopia 2?

Get some new forums while you are it.
Meester

Postby nankunain » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Quick idea for 1.4, rework team balance voting so it actually distributes high ranking players proportionately and make it so it takes less votes than any other vote to succeed. And take out the option to join corps or punks make only so you can auto assign to stop team stackers.
nankunain
PHAN
PHAN

Postby JohnnyPneumatic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 pm

nankunain wrote:Quick idea for 1.4, rework team balance voting so it actually distributes high ranking players proportionately and make it so it takes less votes than any other vote to succeed. And take out the option to join corps or punks make only so you can auto assign to stop team stackers.

Fixing autobalance and giving it it's own vote threshold would be great, but I don't think enforcing autoassign is a good idea. For one thing, it would destroy pugs. For another, it would prevent manual team balancing.
JohnnyPneumatic
PHAN
PHAN

Postby twincannon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:48 pm

agreed about autojoin, plus I don't really think stacking is that big of an issue, after playing a lot of pubs it seems like people are generally mature enough to not stack

autobalance/autojoin/balanceteams all using grank to intelligently place players is definitely an obvious one though, and I can't believe it isn't implemented yet! seems like one of the biggest benefits to having stats in the first place

Meester wrote:I havn't played Dystopia for some time, but how about Kickstarting Dystopia 2?
haha, let us convince people we haven't run off with their money and finish one kickstarter before starting that again >.>

Dredhorse wrote:have a good christmas (even if it is hot) and a happy new year...
hey Don, long time no see! you too!
twincannon
Puny Human staff

Postby Luffy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 am

Oh wow, a Dys update. Time to drag HEAVIES back for a quick round then RQ. I am also wondering what kind of balancing there will be?

Edit: There are still people complaining about the LR?
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby kameroti » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:44 am

Let us know if you need more donations...!

-- Kameroti
kameroti

Postby nankunain » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:43 am

Hey Twin, hate to disagree with you but I run into alot of situations where ppl stack on purpose and i play just about everyday. Theres a name or two I could drop but i wont, i noticed as well that you have not uploaded dystopia to the desura client? the client now has over 200,000 subscribers and to be honest the are all looking for this mod, so why not spend the 10 minutes to publish it? legal issues? what? im just curious cause im one of those subscribers and ive been looking for a mod to replace dys and i cant! Let us know when you put it up so we can vote it up and get it noticed, maybe get some new players.

I may have gone a little off the hinges on the last post about the team balance but to be honest I was drunk and upset at a game where there were 3 skilled players and 2 of them purposely stacked on the other team regardless of callvote or autobalance (guess who the third was). Its just something that I know you guys want to fix or that shouldve been fixed since u3 so lets get on that! Really looking forward to the new installment and just want to say ( no pressure) that the future of dystopia is teetering on 1.4 (no pressure). And as Kameroti noted, let us know if you need more donations....us true believers will undoubtedly shell out a few bucks to get this game back on track.

p.s. make cortex bomb blow no matter what, since its broken otherwise
nankunain
PHAN
PHAN

Postby kameroti » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:20 am

nankunain wrote:...
p.s. make cortex bomb blow no matter what, since its broken otherwise

I just remembered the ol' days when you'd kill the enemy in the room but hear your team mate's cortex bomb winding-up and you quickly look around to see that it's just your team in the room and you have to kill your teammate off quick before he kills you all and gives the next objective to the enemy as a result.

I'm saying I liked these moments of tension and decision and I'd love to have them back!

:lol:

-- Kameroti
(So I like to be on the team with the good players, what's wrong with that? :roll: )
kameroti

Postby nankunain » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 pm

lol yeah, i do too but it gets to a point where ppl start leaving, new players get discouraged, and its just not a good thing for the game.

on the cortex note, literally EVERYONE i talk to in game agrees that it should go back to the old way. Its become known as trolltex since a lot of the time it doesnt go off when youre a foot away from the enemy. But hey if you could fix it so it blows when it should that would be great...but i think that would be a lot more work than just making it go off no matter what.
nankunain
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm

I came here on a whim to check some information about the update history and was pleasantly surprised to see that development is churning back up again :punkl:

Here's to Dystopia in 2013!
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Viz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

I still believe in you twincannon
Viz
PHAN
PHAN

PreviousNext

Return to Dystopia News