template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

November Update - Dystopia Gets Steam'd!

Dystopia news posts by the Puny Human developers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: November Update - Dystopia Gets Steam'd!

Postby Chish » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:19 pm

As a method of content distribution, Steam is pretty good. As a piece of software, Steam is crap.

Now to watch as the active playerbase increases a hundredfold! (hopefully)
Chish
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Aurion » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Software distribution.. yeah. It actually decided to download and install Half Life 2 out of the blue some days ago.

But when i actually download something, it takes ages. There are better ways to distribute software, and Valve decides to use it for more and more tasks, and as you said, it is utterly crap :)
Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby urinal-cake » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:22 pm

Some questions answered:

A) The new stats system works in-game, there is a link that points to it in-game, so you can browse, IN-GAME.
B) I cannot comment about if we take advantage of the Steam stats system's achievements yet.
C) I personally believe our system is a bit more powerful than Steam Stats, to be totally honest, because it provides more data, and is very game specific to Dystopia. However, Steam has to adopt a statistics collection policy that can be adhered to most, if not all games that use their stats engine. We only need to adopt for one game, that is our advantage.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby Chish » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:10 pm

urinal-cake wrote:The new stats system works in-game, there is a link that points to it in-game, so you can browse, IN-GAME

Holy crap that sounds awesome. It also sounds like I am gonna end up getting kicked for being afk once in a while just because I will be looking at stats instead of playing.
Chish
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Overflow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:11 pm

this feature is already in 1.1 lol. Just hit escape and click stats
Overflow
Physical Adept

Postby Aurion » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:52 pm

I'm not sure if we play the same game.
Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Peewi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:00 am

Aurion wrote:I'm not sure if we play the same game.

From playing Dystopia, I definitely remember there being in-game access to your stats page. It only shows while connected to a server, though. I have no idea why someone would want it to be like that.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I really want to see games use as many Steamworks features as possible.

When in a lobby in Left 4 Dead, you can click on someone and either view their Steam profile or send them a message, both of which opens the Steam overlay and either a chat or a web window. I think it'd be neat if Dystopia did the same and opened it's stats in the Steam overlay, instead of a window in the main menu that obscures things such as the server browser.

I've heard that previous versions of Dystopia has friends highlighting on the scoreboard, but it broke when Steam Community was released. Would this feature be re-added? If so, would it be doing it in the same was as Team Fortress 2 or would you have to do it in your own way?

Steam Community avatars. I've noticed that some mods use the Steam Community player name, but doesn't display avatars. Will the new version of Dystopia display avatars on the scoreboard?

urinal-cake, I guess I'll just have to accept it if you guys decide to use your own stats system exclusively, but I'd really like to at least have achievements tracked through Steam.

I don't really expect answers to all of this and is mostly just thinking out loud.
Peewi
Rocketeer

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:31 am

I'm sure none of us are saying we don't want to see lots of Steamworks features like that in Dystopia, but let's just wait and see how it's implemented when 1.2 is released, and then hopefully further down the line more cool features can be added (DIPRIP was one of the first Steamworks mods, and they've only just added integration with Steam community stats). Things like the return of friends highlighting, avatars and all that, would all definitely be very lovely :)
<the_funkmaster> does lez dream of ELCRETIC SHPEE?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
higher post count

Postby Motion! » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Answer the most important question there is! When do we get it :D?
Motion!
Rocketeer

Postby Esoj » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Motion! wrote:Answer the most important question there is! When do we get it :D?

when it's done or donate $10 :)
Last edited by Esoj on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esoj
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Esoj wrote:
Motion! wrote:Answer the most important question there is! When do we get it :D?

Fixed.
You donate to Dystopia and the team will graciously allow you in on the beta testing. :)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Esoj » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Cyanyde wrote:
Esoj wrote:

Fixed.
You donate to Dystopia and the team will graciously allow you in on the beta testing. :)

noted and fixed :D
Esoj
higher post count

Postby Mandibull » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Ok so I read a lot of guys here thinking that we can use all features from steamworks. In fact, most of them are only available with the Orange Box engine (which is not the case since Dystopia is using the ep1 engine). The major thing we can use atm is steamworks' download/update system.

Features we can have if Dystopia switch to OB engine: achievements and stats through Valve's system, avatars in scoreboard, matchmaking (like in l4d), friends highlighting in scoreboard, particle systems, dynamic shadows, HDR rendering and motion blur. Maybe more... :lol:
Mandibull
Operative

Postby Furtal1ty » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:38 pm

I remember reading from a while back that updating to the OB engine would brings lots of moaning, whining, screams, and tears of blood from the devs. And although the bells and whistles are shiny and attention-grabbing, unless it improves gameplay, namely everything that has to do with netcode, I don't think its worth the big deal of updating. Then again, if it does update that ancient pile of shit they call "code", then why the fuck havn't we seen screenshots of some motion blur color-corrected Dystopia?
Furtal1ty
higher post count

Postby Lagginator » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Mandibull wrote:Ok so I read a lot of guys here thinking that we can use all features from steamworks. In fact, most of them are only available with the Orange Box engine (which is not the case since Dystopia is using the ep1 engine). The major thing we can use atm is steamworks' download/update system.

Features we can have if Dystopia switch to OB engine: achievements and stats through Valve's system, avatars in scoreboard, matchmaking (like in l4d), friends highlighting in scoreboard, particle systems, dynamic shadows, HDR rendering and motion blur. Maybe more... :lol:

Are you hinting that dystopia is going to OB?
Lagginator
Physical Adept

Postby Analogy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:09 pm

1.2 is too close to completion for them to have to spend the work porting to OB and fixing the resulting bugs... My speculation is that after 1.2 is released and any post-release fires are put out, then they will start working on porting to OB. The priority right now should be getting *a* release out the door, and get it on Steamworks, to give the mod the popularity and momentum to justify the difficult transition to OB.
Analogy

Postby Cyanyde » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Analogy wrote:1.2 is too close to completion for them to have to spend the work porting to OB and fixing the resulting bugs... My speculation is that after 1.2 is released and any post-release fires are put out, then they will start working on porting to OB. The priority right now should be getting *a* release out the door, and get it on Steamworks, to give the mod the popularity and momentum to justify the difficult transition to OB.

See this thread..
http://www.dystopia-game.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15882

OB engine would be the perfect excuse to release a 2.0.. :D
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Aurion » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:47 pm

As it's *only* a new engine then (takes enough time without new maps etc.), they will label it 1.2.1 :P
Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby sole21000 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:32 am

Aurion wrote:As it's a whole new engine then (takes enough time without new maps etc.), they will label it 1.2.Awesome :P

Fixed.
sole21000
Street Samurai

Postby Juan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am

I heard there'd be big problems with porting some of the custom shaders like thermals etc
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby D_ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:03 am

How would all the top 50 grank players smurf if Dystopia got ported to the OB engine and you had to use your steam community name?
D_
Street Samurai

Postby Alex » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:08 am

If by 'custom shader problem' you mean 'there's better support for custom shaders in a toaster'. As I understand it, if they were to move to the OB engine therms would have to go completely.
Alex
Operative

Postby Cin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 am

Alex wrote:If by 'custom shader problem' you mean 'there's better support for custom shaders in a toaster'. As I understand it, if they were to move to the OB engine therms would have to go completely.

Bingo. AFAIK, Custom Shaders don't work in OB engine. As in, at all. That means no thermals, no stealth, and no cyberspace bloom. Sounds fun right? ;) Hence one of the biggest reasons why we're still on ep1
Cin
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Juan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm

just use color correction <_<
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Zero-Flame » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:20 pm

um color correction wouldnt show a body that is transparent :P sure it would change the color of your screen but ur not gonna see anything helpful :P
WW3|Zero-Flame
Free file hosting at http://Zero-Flame.com
US FastDL @ http://fastdl.zero-flame.com
Zero-Flame
higher post count

PreviousNext

Return to Dystopia News