template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

March Update - Dustoff!

Dystopia news posts by the Puny Human developers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

March Update - Dustoff!

Postby urinal-cake » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:11 pm

We're back again, quickly, with an update for you. Busy things have been going on inside the Dystopia headquarters. I, myself, have been very busy with things to do so extra content such as podcasts and interviews have had to fall short. We originally intended to release shots of both our new maps, Exodus and Injection, however, that has de-railed when one of our level designers surprised us with some new things in an old favorite, Undermine.

First, we'll be taking a look at an area which makes the assault on the first objective a bit easier, the alternate path. The entrance, outside of the mine shaft, gives the Punks the easy opportunity to come in from different angles.

ImageImage

The newest addition to Undermine is the ability to use the deep chasms to your advantage. This particular area serves as an escape hatch for excess dust in the cavern, although, the Punks don't know that. When the infiltration has begun, the Corporate defenders cycle harmful gasses and open up the hatch. Down goes the scum!

ImageImage

Several areas have either been removed or redecorated. All the mines extraction units have been made larger to suit well placed combat, and areas around these have been remade. The oldest extraction unit, "EU2", serves as a dark area to ambush your enemies and take hold once more of this vital objective! Heavy combat areas have also been given a face lift to accommodate the mines general atmosphere, to convey that only the deepest, darkest souls reside in this abandoned mine. Tread lightly.

ImageImage

Combining all of these vital game play aspects together, the third EU is the level's most dangerous spot. The ability to battle over a large chasm, in the abandoned world where extraction units are king, and have a stealthy advantage over your opponent are apparent with the new look. May you only pray that you not become the soul, in which to fight on this hectic battleground.

ImageImage

In the spirit of things, mainly being forgetful, I have also taken the liberty to show off areas of all levels! I don't discriminate, but mainly because it was forgotten in the previous update! Accept this as our sincere apology; the new look of a bland spawning area from Silo now gains our attention right away!

ImageImage

We would also like to take the time to welcome three new tryout developers, and one permanent developer. Xiztence, a modeler, animator and texture artist, Spire a modeler, texture artist, and level designer, Mandibull a game programmer and Complications, one of our returning sound engineers! We would also like to welcome former tryout developer Hyphen-ated to the permanent spot of Team Dystopia as one of our great coders! The team is already busy at work, and we hope that we can have great things to show off for you in the next update!

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by urinal-cake on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby DarkWolf » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Fundermine is fun,

And yeah, the team is going all out to get everything all neat and pretty
Can't wait until its released =D
<frier> interesting... teddy coded the turrets to shoot people in the nuts

[ DarkWolf ] yay, found a bug
[ Teddy ] nooooooooooooooooo
DarkWolf
higher post count

Postby Snowman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Yum!
Snowman
higher post count

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 pm

Woo and yay!
urinal-cake wrote:Xiztence, a modeler, animator and texture artist, Spire a modeler, texture artist and level designer

So, I expect we'll be seeing a fully animated drivable spider tank, female models and unique weapons for each team in 1.2 then? Come on, no excuses left now! :P
<the_funkmaster> does lez dream of ELCRETIC SHPEE?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
higher post count

Postby Onea » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Dis is cool, ya.
Onea
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Giggles » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Cool, undermine is going to better then evarrrrrrr :P

release the update !
Giggles
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Sgt_Hobo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Like I said in the Supporters thread, Twin is working to break the Guinness World Record for "Most Sex in a map in a game based on the Source Engine."

We would also like to take the time to welcome three new tryout developers, and one permanent developer. Xiztence, a modeler, animator and texture artist, Spire a modeler, texture artist and level designer, and Complications, one of our returning sound engineers! We would also like to welcome former tryout developer Hyphen-ated to the permanent spot of Team Dystopia as one of our great coders!

Thought I was seeing new[-ish] people around. Yay!
Sgt_Hobo
PHAN
PHAN

Postby insane_enuf » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:50 pm

yay looks great!
insane_enuf

Postby Loki » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:51 pm

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:Woo and yay!
urinal-cake wrote:Xiztence, a modeler, animator and texture artist, Spire a modeler, texture artist and level designer

So, I expect we'll be seeing a fully animated drivable spider tank, female models and unique weapons for each team in 1.2 then? Come on, no excuses left now! :P

Plenty of excuses left. Higher priorities being one.
Loki
higher post count

Postby ocun » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:52 pm

nice! its hard for me to place some of the screenshots from the new undermine compared to the old, i'm excited to check it out!

but most of all, i'm really excited that there are lots of new people on the dev team! dystopia alive & kicking! 8)
ocun

Postby urinal-cake » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm

Gah, forgot to mention yet ANOTHER addition to the team. Mandibull, another coder.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby Esoj » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:32 pm

other things like world models and props for maps will take priority. if there is time leftover I guess additional stuff can be done. no way of telling that though until closer to release I would imagine. but yes exciting time ahead with new people joining the team and trying out.
Esoj
higher post count

Postby urinal-cake » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Official comment to strike out Loki's and esoj's:

Assault class comes first.
LAWL
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby memzero » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:20 pm

hamster bal?
Welcome to Dystopia.
urinal-cake wrote:HOLY SHIT ALIENS ARE TALKING IN THIS THREAD
BLAST EM
memzero
PHAN
PHAN

Postby charlestheoaf » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Thar be devhacks
charlestheoaf
higher post count

Postby avv » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:15 am

We dystopians wait anxiously to get our hands on that delicious content :o

urinal-cake wrote:Xiztence, a modeler, animator

Interesting... a modeller
avv

Postby Lurking Shadow » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:05 am

tho i was only able to look offline onto all maps i must say that what i was able to update while repairing my deck, this will be one hell of a good release, especially undermine. I wanted to post this today under tester feedback, but as the changes are public, the battles will be outrageous fun (hope the sessions are as much fun as i think, almost took a hour to take a good look at it)
..spamming your spawn..
Lurking Shadow
higher post count

Postby Mandibull » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:19 am

Hey, I'm one of the new tryouts although I didn't posted a lot on the forum. By the way I'm french so don't blame me for my english skills. :)

I'm glad to work for Dystopia and I hope I will be operational soon. :twisted:
Mandibull
Operative

Postby Warsprite » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:57 am

This particular area serves as an escape hatch for excess dust in the cavern, although, the Punks don't know that. When the infiltration has begun, the Corporate defenders cycle harmful gasses and open up the hatch. Down goes the scum!

This is possibly one of my favorite things in Dys now. Just saying.
Warsprite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Blarggy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:33 am

nomnomnom.

I nom on your undermine.

Undermine pretty. Hooray!
Blarggy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Esoj » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:45 am

Lurking Shadow wrote:tho i was only able to look offline onto all maps i must say that what i was able to update while repairing my deck, this will be one hell of a good release, especially undermine. I wanted to post this today under tester feedback, but as the changes are public, the battles will be outrageous fun (hope the sessions are as much fun as i think, almost took a hour to take a good look at it)

I'll put it this way zero-flame will be banned a lot on public servers :D
Esoj
higher post count

Postby Zunami » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:19 am

Nice to read. Maps look great. :lol:
Zunami
PHAN
PHAN

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:23 pm

urinal-cake wrote:

Official comment to strike out Loki's and esoj's:

Assault class comes first.
LAWL

Yep, Spire best be working on texturing those laser snakes.
<the_funkmaster> does lez dream of ELCRETIC SHPEE?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
higher post count

Postby Charkles [UK] » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Just release the update now, I need to play that sexy undermine!!
Charkles [UK]
Physical Adept

Postby timtim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 pm

SEXY!!! well the EU's look a bit TF2ish but well IT'S DAMN SEXY!!!!! <3 new undermine design!!!

p.s. who cares about silo?

p.p.s. UNDERMINE!!!!!

</spam>
timtim

Next

Return to Dystopia News