template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

February Update - What once was old is new again

Dystopia news posts by the Puny Human developers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Postby urinal-cake » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Wow @ 100% of playtesters being management.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby KindredPhantom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:44 am

urinal-cake wrote:Wow @ 100% of playtesters being management.

Well it what's has been said before, and then again.
So y'know the play testers just saying it is just passing on previously said information. Passing on until the management actually say "Yes supporters testing will happen for 1.2" or "No we won't be using the supporters for balance testing for 1.2".
Since we know how much you love having to repeat things that you have already said.
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

Postby urinal-cake » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:04 pm

But.. But.. But you said it wasn't a definite yes yet. We haven't even got to the point of it being a 'yes.'
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby Juan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:16 pm

I'm hearing a whole lot of yes over here
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby SenatorPalpatine » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:17 pm

urinal-cake wrote:100% of playtesters are now management, they're in change, and devs have no say whatsoever. In fact Palpatine's in charge of everything now.

Fix'd.

So yeah, supporters can test 1.2 pre-release.

(And when they do test it, I'm taking credit for it.) :P
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever."
$ofut&re nokpa)t no pres}nt no li2e no deaH# no wSrldddddddddd
SenatorPalpatine
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Zero-Flame » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:35 pm

SenatorPalpatine wrote:
urinal-cake wrote:100% of playtesters are now management, they're in change, and devs have no say whatsoever. In fact Palpatine's in charge of everything now.

Fix'd.

So yeah, supporters can test 1.2 pre-release.

(And when they do test it, I'm taking credit for it.) :P

ur gonna have a lot of bugs to report....
WW3|Zero-Flame
Free file hosting at http://Zero-Flame.com
US FastDL @ http://fastdl.zero-flame.com
Zero-Flame
higher post count

Postby avv » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Those playtesters will always try to slow down the progress of us innocent suppies even at the cost of whole game balance.
avv

Postby KindredPhantom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:10 pm

urinal-cake wrote:But.. But.. But you said it wasn't a definite yes yet. We haven't even got to the point of it being a 'yes.'

/shrug, Whatever. :D
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

Postby Warsprite » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Oh, yeah, U-C forgot to mention it, but he was supposed to announce that in 1.2 the light katana will be replaced with a giant dildo.
Warsprite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Unruly » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Warsprite wrote:Oh, yeah, U-C forgot to mention it, but he was supposed to announce that in 1.2 the light katana will be replaced with a giant dildo.

I don't want that! I want it to be replaced with a giant foam finger!
Unruly

Postby urinal-cake » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Sometimes, I hate testers.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby Warsprite » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:44 pm

urinal-cake wrote:Sometimes, I hate testers.

It's okay U-C. I love you anyway. <3
Warsprite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby KindredPhantom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:00 pm

urinal-cake wrote:Sometimes, I hate testers.

Sometimes, oh wow.

I thought it was a 24/7 hate. :twisted:
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

The new airlock is... ...new?

Postby Xao » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:58 am

Everything I've seen so far I'm really liking, but there is one thing I would like to touch on, some of the other people who posted here questioned the new airlocks effectiveness and I'm wondering the same myself. Even if it's bigger it seems like it will still be susceptible to spam as long as you can shoot thru with tesla's (although it might not, we would have to play it to find out).

Now I had an idea for improving the airlock I wanted to share a while back so I'm hoping it's not too late, I know this is a crappy MS paint job, but I just wanted to cook up something quickly that I could share:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70 ... 12idea.jpg

The actual width and length of the rooms should be tweaked, but the layout is the point I'm trying to make.
Let me explain if you don't already understand (it's sort of obvious). There are now 2 doors on the outside making it harder for corps to camp the inside with a GL (although still possible) and the inner doors are moved from the sides to the back wall to make tesla spamming less effective, if you were to toss a tesla ball on a curve you would do less damage to punks close to the door, if you were to shoot straight thru you would miss people in the middle and hit the wall, so it opens up new strategical options and foils the old "SPAM THE AIRLOCK IN A STRAIGHT LINE WITH THE SHINY DEATH BALLS!" technique that made this map almost impossible to win.

Now the spawns are moved further back for two main reasons: A: so they are not up against the doors that are now closer to the wall where the spawn would normally be and B: since things are alot easier punk side this makes it a little easier for corps to get inside the core room to defend in order to balance it out, this was done because I know how much of a pain the second objective on assemble can be because of the long climb up the stairs and all the punks have to do is run across. A wall is placed in front of the spawn to prevent corps from stepping in and out of the force field freely to take cheap shots at the punks, but also to provide some cover from the incoming attack and to prevent corps from simply firing teslas thru that hallway instead of the airlock. The wall should probably have a large unbreakable window in it as well, so they can see what they are up against when they spawn.

If anyone else has any ideas feel free to say something.

Edit: Ok that image is FREAKING HUGE and I can't seem to get it to thumbnail down to a more manageable size. It might just be on my side, but if it's not I'd be glad to edit it if I knew what code to use.
Xao
Blank Load Out

Postby avv » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Omg xao that's awesome :o why didn't anyone else ever think of that?
avv

Postby alucard » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:17 pm

uhm, wouldn't this encourage laser rifles? (i hate ze lazoor!)
also wouldn't it be harder for punks if the corps spawn is closer to the core?
alucard
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xao » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:08 pm

alucard wrote:uhm, wouldn't this encourage laser rifles? (i hate ze lazoor!)
also wouldn't it be harder for punks if the corps spawn is closer to the core?

The idea of moving the spawn up and putting a wall there in front of it was kind of to discourage laser rifles from being whored there, as they don't work as well at closer range and are susceptible to GLs and other spam weapons.

Yes it would make it harder to stay in the core room, but the idea is to make it easier for punks to get into the core room, but also easier for corps to defend it so there is a constant struggle to keep the punks out of the out of the core rather than keeping them from getting past the airlock, as it is if the punks get in the core room they can generally wail on the core for a reasonable amount of time before anyone can engage them. The idea is giving the punks a clear path to the core but making them have to get past the corps to do it without making the corps impassable, so the struggle is moreso in the core room and the hallway outside rather than the airlock.

The thing is, just about any layout is going to be susceptible to some sort of weapons fire, the idea is designing it so it's not so extreme that the right amount of teamwork paired with good loadouts can overcome the challenge.

Omg xao that's awesome why didn't anyone else ever think of that?

Thanks!
I'm not entirely sure why no one did, it may have just not come up, which I'm hoping is the case because I would be glad to see a setup like this be put into the map. Personally I'd like to design a map of my own but I have no experience in doing so. If it's as easy as making a map for that crappy Halo CE (although coldsnap and hugeass are fun due to how incredibly buggy they are) I could probably handle the mapping.
Xao
Blank Load Out

Postby Lurking Shadow » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:51 am

the actual airlock turned into more of a deadzone for the usual gl armor rapist then the original, trust me on that one, there is no spam of doom anymore, unfortunate for the people inside, punks can tesla too (tho not as effective but at least the ball survives longer then a split second)

btw youre gonna love the new content
..spamming your spawn..
Lurking Shadow
higher post count

Postby KindredPhantom » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 am

That is an interesting idea Xao.
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

Postby Xao » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:39 am

Lurking Shadow wrote:the actual airlock turned into more of a deadzone for the usual gl armor rapist then the original, trust me on that one, there is no spam of doom anymore, unfortunate for the people inside, punks can tesla too (tho not as effective but at least the ball survives longer then a split second)

btw youre gonna love the new content

Well, I'll take your word for it, but I'm still skeptical until I see it myself. The range on the telsa ball is just so large that when you have 3-6 telsa balls flying thru the airlock it just makes me wonder if a larger airlock is the answer. Although if you guys are going to nerf the tesla that could fix it, although I'm wondering how you will nerf it. I personally think the damage on it was fine but it's area of effect was way too large, even getting clipped by it on the outer edge of the area of effect can strip off nearly all of a mediums armor, in my opinion it should get much, much weaker at that range.

I had one more request to make, could you guys pin the shelving units in the ammo room and the trash cans down in Vaccine? People have a nasty habit of piling them up in front of the doors to the jip or the jip itself at the second objective and then placing two or three minigun/ion heavies behind them to rape the punk team as they try to move past the stacks of ambient objects. I could excuse the corp team for doing it to win the last game it happened during because the teams were stacked so badly against them, but it's usually done when the corp team are the ones stacking and it's hard enough for pros to get around it, let alone a bunch of newbies.
Xao
Blank Load Out

Postby Warsprite » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:40 am

I really do not like the idea of moving the corp spawn down the hallway like that. I also think the new airlock is just fine the way it is =)
Warsprite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Zero-Flame » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:59 am

yeah i like the way the airlock currently is... corps cant neccesarily just camp inside anymore leaving punks at that one door. instead, now we all run in and die when the doors open but at least we tried ;) lol jm it works out really well, unless the corps have organized tesla spammers (aka notgunnahappen) you can easily hide from tesla balls and grenades.
WW3|Zero-Flame
Free file hosting at http://Zero-Flame.com
US FastDL @ http://fastdl.zero-flame.com
Zero-Flame
higher post count

Postby Sgt_Hobo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:18 pm

As I recall, we made sure to try spamming the new airlock with grenades and Tesla and it worked fine for us (if that alleviates any further fears).
Sgt_Hobo
PHAN
PHAN

Postby ocun » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:22 am

yeah but no offence, skillwise/tacticwise testers mostly suck
give it a few months of pub & clan play with some real whores, THEN you got some proof :P
ocun

Postby Esoj » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:58 am

ocun wrote:yeah but no offence, skillwise/tacticwise testers mostly suck
give it a few months of pub & clan play with some real whores, THEN you got some proof :P

I would argue that on the current test team we already do have plenty of the good whores and players from the top clans. I say before just outright bagging the test team give it a few months and then decide if it needs further work :P
Esoj
higher post count

PreviousNext

Return to Dystopia News