template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

I present to You, An update.

Dystopia news posts by the Puny Human developers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

I present to You, An update.

Postby termi » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:22 am

A lot of times we have seen posts like "OMG, Dystopia is dying" (hell, sometimes after a bad bout with real life i have had the same feeling) but to quote Mark Twain, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated", We have been quiet some time since our last update, so be forewarned this is a big one.

We released Dystopia V1 on 24th February 2007, made sure that we got some needed fixes out with V1.1 and went into a long hiatus. I'm sure some may have felt it went for too long, but I'm sure not many of them had just completed a 3 year goal.

So what has happened while we have been radio silent ?

Fuzzy got married and moved to Melbourne, Teddy finally got a well-deserved job in the industry and is coding like mad, Urinal-Cake's computer broke piece after piece (he is now an expert in computer repairs), and for the most part the rest of us are the same as ever.

We've got some new people including a new coder and another graphics guy on board. We also welcome Dredhorse, a long-time supporter and community member of Dystopia into the fold as Community Manager.

Our level developers have after a well deserved break resumed mapping meaning we will soon have some cool shots which you will see showing up as they progress from time to time and in the upcoming sneak-peek updates, but more on that further down.

So that's the catching up done, here's what we are doing moving forward...

Forum Restructuring:

as soon as phpBB3 is released we will be rolling out some moderately big changes regarding the forums including

Suggestion Forum:
The suggestion forum will be closed... to make place for a new suggestion forum. V1 was the major milestone for the game which was envisioned by Fuzzy, Teddy and Myself and also meant a kind of closure. We are now looking into different suggestions which could add to Dystopia, Like before there are some limitations, both hard engine limitations due to the level of access we have to the engine (IE. number of weapons, implants etc.) We will keep the old ideas around for prosperity and will definitely sift through them to find the gold, But think of the new forum as a clean slate for ideas meant post-v1. More information will be in the new suggestion forum.

Stickies Cleanup:
While the community has grown, the forums have become a tremendous repository of information put together by the community, with the most important of this information being stickied, but it's got to a point where wading through 50 stickies to get to the active threads is a task in itself, We will begin consolidating these threads into 'important information' announcements at the top of each forum, which will in turn point to the original stickies so you can keep the comments relevant.

Feedback Forum:
In particular the Bug-Reports forum will be getting an overhaul allowing for easier management of bugs so we can get them locked down faster.

Other Changes:

We are looking for some more Moderators for the forum, mainly on finding noteworthy stuff and managing this new stuff we are adding i.e. managing the announcements etc. but also to make sure that we get back to the vibe we had beginning of this year. Send Dredhorse a PM if you wanna jump on as a forum god, the pay sucks (doesn't exist) though, so keep that in mind.

With forum software being updated in the near future adding some minor changes to the workings of the forum overall, for instance there will be a change for voting on polls, you will only be able to after registered & every member will only get one vote per poll.

Monthly Updates:
They are back! We will give you some update about what is happening with the game, the team and all that jazz each month. All because we enjoy the fresh and sweet smelling "OMG, ITS 1am on the 1st of this month and update WTF" feeling that washes over us.

Sneak-peeks:
To keep you in the loop, We will randomly be posting in-progress shots of what we are working on, along with a giant disclaimer on the fact that they are "work in progress" shots and may not make it in the game itself, This is a bit of a departure from pre-v1, but the cat is out of the bag with v1 being out so I think it's safe to say that we can deliver on what we show.

Bug Hunt:
We already did one during pre-v1 release but we will do them again, or to be more exact: We would like you to help us hunt down any bug / exploit / imbalances in maps and post it into the corresponding thread in the forum. For more information take a dive into the Feedback Forum.

I'm impressed if you made it this deep into the post, seriously, I applaud you, this thing is huge.

Dystopia Road map:
Overall, we are looking at fine-tuning what we've got, expanding on the foundation we have built to make dystopia more fun and even more polished, eventually there will be a v2 but that's quite some distance away yet (hell, it took us 3 years to get to v1). We continue using our supporters again to augment the testers during the final testing stages on those updates and will post more information in the supporter forum in the near future.
A more detailed road map will be revealed in due time after we have settled back into development.

And finally:
The Dystopia Competition
To get the creative people of the community going and give them some incentive to pour crazy amounts of time into the game like we have, We are going to start a Competition. The winners of this competition will be included into the next content release.

We are looking for:

Intros:
The supporters have already seen some additional intros during the RC testing, but aren't you getting bored with the same intro again and again? So get going and create a short Intro for Dystopia.

Promos:
Ocun and TheNext created some very cool promo videos for Dystopia. We want more, so that other people can see how awesome Dystopia is.

Video Walk-throughs:
Something for the most ambitious of you next to the Promos. We want to see walk-throughs for the maps. Show new people not just how to play a map, but how to play it WELL, teach them the skills they need.

And what about maps, prop models and other content ?
We want them too! So all of you guys who are at the moment creating a map take a look into the competition and get your map included into the next content release.

More information about the competition will be released in the Competition Forum soon, but we are looking at a final date to be announced soon for all submissions. rest assured you have a ton of time, Selecting the winners will be done by community vote for Best Map, Best Concept, Best New Idea and other categories we haven't even thought of yet, plus there will be a Devs Pick.

The prize is simply for your content to be packed into the next content release following the competitions completion. Ready to be downloaded by all the content hungry masses and you will be credited with the rest of us.
Last edited by termi on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
termi
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby KindredPhantom » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:01 am

1st!!!! :P

More information about the competition will be released in the Competition Forum soon, but we are looking at a final date of 31st January for all submissions

31st January?

And a looong news post. A long but interesting read.
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

Postby ocun » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:11 am

good post, we needed this
as for promo vid/tutorials, you've got my interest :)
ocun

Postby The RJ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:15 am

This is great; thanks for this. However, there's still the fact that about 90% of the people who visit the website won't know this news update exists
[lljk]Richard McBeef
The RJ

Postby Cin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:17 am

/me dances

I can't wait to get paid so I can upgrade my machine and get back into the swing of things :twisted: (atm, it takes me longer to join a server than the round lasts :()

EDIT: THIS IS MY 3000th post :!: :D
Last edited by Cin on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cin
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Re: I present to You, An update.

Postby avv » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:31 am

Good to have some good news. Pls post most updates to supporters- forum only. We suppies deserve to see everything first and chucle about them in pubs.

termi wrote:Fuzzy got married and moved to Melbourne.

How about some pics? I bet the bestman arrived the place with legboosters.

termi wrote:and another graphics guy on board.

It's warby isn't it?

Ps. Is there gonna be lavasharks?
avv

Postby Dredhorse » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:00 pm

to correct the post a little bit and to keep the masses at bay:

There will be smaller releases BEFORE the end of the competition, we are still working on what and when so it is save to say you see them when they are done.

Final submission for FINISHED (means done, no changes allowed, playtested, etc) is the 31st January 2008. Looks like a long time but we want good maps, and as those maps will be needed to be tested the folks willing to put up with it will have more maps to play and a head start till than on top of the official maps released up to that time.

At the 1st of February 2008 the final voting / picking will start so that we will be able to include the material into a release shortly after. How short... we will see.. I did calculate some time into it to make some small fixes to the maps etc.

BUT MORE TO COME in another update... in it's own update... about the competition.
OH. btw: I'm normally NOT in these forums anymore, so if you want something from me you need to PM me.

Dredhorse
PHAN
PHAN

Postby saber07 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Warby has already won the props competition.
saber07

Postby CommandoPoop » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Good to see an update.
CommandoPoop
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Coat_Hanger_Abortion » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:46 pm

9th post!!!!!!1111

But seriously, good information. It all sounds promising.

We all love Fuzzy and Teddy for what they've done and see that they have for the most part moved on, but will they still help out with things here and there?
urinal-cake wrote:Holy fucking shit that is crazy
You're fucked. Later
Coat_Hanger_Abortion

Postby Dredhorse » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Fuzzy is hosting the forums, updating the software, hacking the stuff into shape.
Teddy don't know atm.

We will keep you informed.
OH. btw: I'm normally NOT in these forums anymore, so if you want something from me you need to PM me.

Dredhorse
PHAN
PHAN

Postby DarkWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:23 pm

This is all good good good news.

And congrats to Fuzzy :D

As for video walk throughs I've had this in mind for a while kind of like a "1st person narrative guide"

As for the competition, this sounds awesome!

As for The Team looking for help or what not, who should I contact? I would love to give some time and work back to the community.

Thanks again for the update Termi, I'm not sure about the rest of the peoples, but I'm sure fired up :D
<frier> interesting... teddy coded the turrets to shoot people in the nuts

[ DarkWolf ] yay, found a bug
[ Teddy ] nooooooooooooooooo
DarkWolf
higher post count

Postby Pirate » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:06 pm

this is sexy.
Pirate
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Dredhorse » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:55 pm

DarkFalcon wrote:As for The Team looking for help or what not, who should I contact? I would love to give some time and work back to the community.

if you think about becoming a moderator of the forums... me..

if you just want to wade through piles of posts with even less incentive... me..

:D

Dredhorse
PHAN
PHAN

Postby feanix » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:46 pm

Coat_Hanger_Abortion wrote:We all love Fuzzy and Teddy for what they've done and see that they have for the most part moved on, but will they still help out with things here and there?

As said, fuzzy will be holding our hands occasionally with web stuff. Teddy is far too busy making awesome games for money to keep giving his talent away for free, as we all hope to be one day :D
feanix
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby ReK_ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:47 pm

win + win = GET IN THE CAR

also, olympus is the best thing known to man (and the gods, lol)

<Smaug335> Rek, why do I always become so hyper when you get online?
<Fuzzy> pheromones
ReK_

Postby SenatorPalpatine » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:16 pm

I think for a tutorial thing, if it is even possible, to take the original of each of the 7 (I think) maps and add in some voice explaining how to do the objectives, and the thingies that you can click on for explanation of certain things like the commentary of Ep. 1 and Lost Coast. It would be like a tutorial map for each map. Also maybe video runthroughs of each map too.

Just ideas.

It's great that a news update has finally been made though, it should get interest up. I can't wait for some new maps.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever."
$ofut&re nokpa)t no pres}nt no li2e no deaH# no wSrldddddddddd
SenatorPalpatine
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Clippit » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:39 pm

ReK_ wrote:win + win = GET IN THE CAR

also, olympus is the best thing known to man (and the gods, lol)

their lenses are good for the price, i reckon.
frenzal rhomb are not a very good band
Clippit
Street Samurai

Postby Esoj » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 pm

somebody just has to do it.

OMG DYSTOPIA IS DYING.
Esoj
higher post count

Postby Sgt_Hobo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:00 pm

I'll be waiting in the wings for map updates and crap to test out.
Sgt_Hobo
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Loki » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:48 pm

termi_map_4 is going to cause a worldwide, simultaneous orgasm.
Loki
higher post count

Postby Flawaffles » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:34 pm

i'm looking forward !
lava sharks :!:
Flawaffles
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:41 pm

shouldn't dr. ed, the horse get a dystopia team status now (or is that another forum change only fuzzy can do?)
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Esoj » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:38 am

Juan wrote:shouldn't dr. ed, the horse get a dystopia team status now (or is that another forum change only fuzzy can do?)

yeah pretty sure stuff like that is fuzzy thing. I am sure dredhorse if needed can always point out that he is a dev to those that don't read the forums etc.
Esoj
higher post count

Postby That1guy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:41 am

I thought you guys were just on a very long vacation.
This is a signature
And this is an IRON LIZARD!!!!!
That1guy
CorpCop

Next

Return to Dystopia News