template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

Puny Human has landed!

Official Puny Human news releases regarding the studio and the games!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Puny Human has landed!

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:09 am

twincannon wrote:Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Explorer - uxtheme.dll patch + visual styles
Most PDFs
Amazon - CSS modification
Reddit - ''
Digg - ''
Newegg - ''
Facebook - ''
Youtube - ''
Skype - There are themes available.

just thought I'd randomly compile a list of things with pure white backgrounds (#FFFFFF), approximately 25% brighter compared to this forum themes post pane background (#CECECE), yet people still will apply skins to them. no reason

Fixed.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:14 am

urinal-cake wrote:because in one year, 50% of the current tiny Dystopia fanbase will be gone and have moved on [Citation Needed]

Perhaps we should take a count of current players in the dys-stats system and check it against next year's numbers?
Last edited by The Chosen One on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby twincannon » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:15 am

haha how did I know you would reply with greasemonkey or something, I'm assuming you're just trolling at this point because if you actually have scripts loaded for every website you're in the batshit insane minority :P

honestly dude, if you already tweak major websites, who cares? just greasemonkey/firebug/whatever you use to this one.
twincannon
Puny Human staff

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:22 am

twincannon wrote:haha how did I know you would reply with greasemonkey or something, I'm assuming you're just trolling at this point because if you actually have scripts loaded for every website you're in the batshit insane minority :P

honestly dude, if you already tweak major websites, who cares? just greasemonkey/firebug/whatever you use to this one.

No, I don't have that many userchrome.css modifications installed (I don't think I'm batshit insane yet). But still, I was just throwing it out there. Also, two of the main reasons that CSS mods are used are (a) you don't like the color scheme of a site (which a majority of people currently do) or (b) for readibility (which a majority of people are complaining about because it's blindingly light than what they're used to)
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby twincannon » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:25 am

(c) you worked at a place with nazi bosses and wanted to make every website default black text on white bg and all images removed*...

*totally didn't do this for the past 1.5 years!
twincannon
Puny Human staff

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:33 am

twincannon wrote:(c) you worked at a place with nazi bosses and wanted to make every website default black text on white bg and all images removed*...

*totally didn't do this for the past 1.5 years!

Ouch.

However, one of the things that T-D were saying as a reason for getting rid of the old Dystopia themes was that they were dystopia-branded. That can be fixed by removing the Dystopia Footer, the mini-headerbar, the post icons (which could be replaced with hueshifted PHPBB default icons) and changing the background image. there. problem solved.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 am

The Chosen One wrote:
urinal-cake wrote:because in one year, 50% of the current tiny Dystopia fanbase will be gone and have moved on [Citation Needed]

Perhaps we should take a count of current players in the dys-stats system and check it against next year's numbers?

Since 02/06/2009 119,762 players

Since 09/14/2010 5,797 players
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Omnigord » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:27 am

twincannon wrote:Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Explorer
Most PDFs
Amazon
Reddit
Digg
Newegg
Facebook
Youtube
just thought I'd randomly compile a list of things with pure white backgrounds (#FFFFFF), approximately 25% brighter compared to this forum themes post pane background (#CECECE). no reason

Maddox wrote:I've chosen a black background for most of my text because it's easier on the eyes than staring at a white screen. Think about it: your monitor is not a piece of paper, no matter how hard you try to make it one. Staring at a white background while you read is like staring at a light bulb

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=faq
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby bauxite » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:07 am

i would just like to say, there is a difference between putting up with something bad, complaining about change even if the change is bad or good and stating that something is simply bad, all are opinions ofcourse, but sometimes, the majority may agree on certain things.

sure, its not a fact that the new theme is worse than the old one, its simply an opinion, but in my opinon:

the forum theme is not great, neotokyo is simply bad, amazon is bad, unaco is a bad man, etc.

and i think people do agree, most likely so will the new visitors/future fan base, but i appreciate the hard work gone into creating things, even if they aren't liked by some people its just opinion, and i mean no offence.

imo it is also extremely hard to distinguish between the icons and things, the bottom line is that its not hard to see how to make the forum/website waaay better, and ALSO the old theme happend to be waaay better, again imo.

please post your opinion, get a poll, although im not too bothered whatever happens, at the end of the day this is punyhumangames' decision and they can do what they like with thier own projects.

but i hope, that they will strive to please thier existing fanbase, and also attract new fans at the same time, obviously what they do is thier decision, but i hope they strive for quality and listen to feedback, opinions and criticism as well.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby charlestheoaf » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:55 pm

Pyroguy wrote:New theme is awesome. Keep it up.

So are you :)

I've been holding off commenting, but I'll allow myself just one comment.

1) If you don't like bright backgrounds, that issue is moot. There are more people out there that don't like dark backgrounds. A darker theme is in the works, but it's not necessary and not at the top of the priority list. Any complaining between now and then is, again, moot.

2) If you don't like the new theme because it's different than the old theme, I'm sorry, I'm glad you're a Dystopia fan, but these are the Puny Human forums. There's apparently a "fix" out there if you really want it back.

Most importantly:
For anyone out there that's interested in seeing where we're headed and excited for the future, we want to you come along with us! We're about progress here at Puny Human.
charlestheoaf
higher post count

Postby alucard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:10 pm

So, while you're all group hugging after the inapplicable expression of shock and horror by the old forumites about this outrageous progress thingy, may I humbly request that new posts in a thread get a slightly different color scheme for sake of a slightly better overview? (The old corps theme had light yellow borders for new posts and white borders for old posts. Or was it the other way around?)
alucard
PHAN
PHAN

Postby King Eternity » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 am

hey there, i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before or if this is the right thread for it, but i was just wondering what you consider to be the status of the resources that previous Dystopia contributors have created?

it seems like you are trying to copyright all Dystopia assets as owned by Puny Human?
King Eternity
Blank Load Out

Postby Omnigord » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:33 am

alucard wrote:may I humbly request that new posts in a thread get a slightly different color scheme for sake of a slightly better overview? (The old corps theme had light yellow borders for new posts and white borders for old posts. Or was it the other way around?)

If there is one thing I really don't like about the new forum design, it's the colors on thread icons.

Is there some page that has a chart or something? Or can someone just tell me (here) the difference between yellow, orange, red, and slightly lighter red?
Omnigord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Aurion » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 am

Just take a look at the icon themselves. The name describes what it stands for.

No new posts in this thread

No new posts, you posted in this thread

"Hot" topic without new posts

And any combination, like new posts, hot topic, you posted there.
Lyta had a little Vorlon, her skin was pale as snow. And everywhere that Lyta went, the Vorlon was sure to go.

Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby bauxite » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:19 am

King Eternity wrote:hey there, i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before or if this is the right thread for it, but i was just wondering what you consider to be the status of the resources that previous Dystopia contributors have created?

it seems like you are trying to copyright all Dystopia assets as owned by Puny Human?

well its a mod right, so im guessing somewhere it probably says valve owns it, or that nobody really owns the assets, or specific parts are owned by those who created them?

maybe lol.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby charlestheoaf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:39 am

King Eternity wrote:hey there, i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before or if this is the right thread for it, but i was just wondering what you consider to be the status of the resources that previous Dystopia contributors have created?

Before Puny Human, I'm pretty sure all assets were considered "part of Dystopia" or belonging to "Team Dystopia", which is now Puny Human. But I'm sure Urinal-Cake will correct me on this matter.
charlestheoaf
higher post count

Postby Luffy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:17 pm

The only problem I see is that the background for the text is too close in colour to black text, removing contrast. If you look at other grey-themed forums they have swapped the background with the text box, e.g. the darker grey on the sides and the lighter grey on the inside.

Justifying your decision by calling Dystopia people whiners is a terrible excuse and you know it. The colour scheme is shitty by virtue of reduced contrast in the text area, creating eyestrain.

Examples of proper, swapped colour schemes:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=260054
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73658

It's like staring at a black dot with a huge white background. Surely you realize this.
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Pyroguy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:20 am

I think the text looks ok. Could be a little more contrast though.

After a week of consideration, I do agree that the contrast on the icons should be increased. I actually have found myself trying to determine whether an icon is lit or not, which is not a good thing. It should be automatic.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby dE » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 am

Nice Team Fortress 2 Fanpage! The whole color theme and style are spot on for that purpose!
Just kidding. Thanks for the mod and a great time. Lots of work went into it by the devs, lots of playtime by the players too. The current "Dystopia GTFO" Vibe is understandable too. It's not really the kinda crowd someone would want to have once professional and commercial interests are manifesting.

Best of luck, let's see where you're headed.
dE
Street Samurai

Postby The Chosen One » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:31 pm

I dunno about it being understandable. If you wanted to show off to any potential companies for whatever reason, you could easily say "we made a kickass mod" and show them Dystopia's website. It might earn some points with whoever you're trying to impress.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby King Eternity » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:15 pm

charlestheoaf wrote:

Before Puny Human, I'm pretty sure all assets were considered "part of Dystopia" or belonging to "Team Dystopia", which is now Puny Human. But I'm sure Urinal-Cake will correct me on this matter.

i would be very interested to hear urinal cake's opinion, i know several of the original artists and they would be very concerned to see a commercial organisation claiming copyright on their work.
King Eternity
Blank Load Out

Postby charlestheoaf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Well talk to Urinal-Cake about it, I'm no lawyer and wasn't around way back when. I don't know if there was a different deal with the artists back then.
charlestheoaf
higher post count

Postby joker » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:33 am

Everyone seems to have digressed a bit here...

first off, gratz, Puny Human has indeed landed! And, If I can add, the text/layout/ quote "blindingly bright" look, seems to fit ito the atmosphere of 'Puny Human' and all :D (kek) - abductions, alien examinations et al.

secondly, a opinion - Yes, it is understood that 'Puny Human' is all about progress and that babokitty's post (when ever if it were taken seriously) does make some sense, however, a testament which both the dev's and the fanbase can both testify to, is the fact that Dystopia has been a major area of growth- for development opportunities for the Dev Team, and copious hours of interaction from the forum junkies, pubstars, veterans of Dystopia- at play- heck i'm even writing a thesis on it :P

To sum up, appreciation all around should be the general view- what we were, what we are, what we will be, etc.

Let's all anticipate the future of gaming now kk? :D
bigtoecommando: "that joker is pretty good" " yeah he hax"

ss_elmo: teams aren't tt unbalanced actually
Le Glaude: omfg
ss_elmo: it's just joker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_udqEp_YR4
joker
Street Samurai

Postby King Eternity » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:49 pm

charlestheoaf wrote:Well talk to Urinal-Cake about it, I'm no lawyer and wasn't around way back when. I don't know if there was a different deal with the artists back then.

the artists i know certainly didn't make any deal with anyone about using their work for a commercial product.

and urinal cake's opinion is noticeably absent from this discussion.
King Eternity
Blank Load Out

Postby urinal-cake » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:59 pm

I've been busy the last couple of days working on heading to Devapalooza for a week.

The short answer: Of all the past developers I have talked to or tried to talk to, they are fine with Dystopia using their content. Puny Human owns the Dystopia IP and the content, and I haven't been made aware of any instances in which a developer was unhappy about the usage of their content. I'm definitely open with any developer approaching me for a discussion regarding it, however.

The basis of it is, is that we're not using Dystopia for any monetary gain, so past developers shouldn't expect any sort of compensation. However, I have spent the last two years exhaustively adding to our developer archive of past contributors to Dystopia and the level of their contribution, with a detailed credits page planned for Dystopia and future projects so that we can give credit where it is due.

Like I said, if any of these developers have any quarrels, please let me know, I'd love to get in touch with them. A lot of this has to hold off until we have the funds available to go through the legal steps of ensuring all past contributors feel that their work has been properly recognized.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

PreviousNext

Return to Puny Human News