template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

Puny Human has landed!

Official Puny Human news releases regarding the studio and the games!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Puny Human has landed!

Postby urinal-cake » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 pm

My point isn't about the bright/dark part of the theme. If you guys feel that this theme is too bright, I can empathize just because it is radically different than what everyone is used to. BigToeCommando mentioned this about a month ago, and it definitely gave us the idea of doing an alternate theme like we did with the Dystopia website. You can select a color scheme for the website and forums.

However, you won't get the Dystopia Corp/Punk theme back, unless it comes back in the form of some skin for the Puny Human website (which we may do if we have the time, but it would only be one theme) just because the top menu is part of the forum theme itself, and if you change the theme then you have the Dystopia menu, not the Puny Human website menu.

In a few weeks, we will have fans of a mod that already has some sort of semblance of a fanbase, and I would rather not direct them to a website and forum theme that is covered in Dystopia if they're not interested in it at all. Puny Human provides that neutral base.

So in the future, if time permits (read: if charlestheoaf, cornix and Cin have time this week, and during Devapalooza which is next week) then we would create some alternate forum themes that would translate into different website forums. But I heavily doubt anyone will have a whole lot of time to devote to it as we will be very busy in the next two weeks working on the second and third games we have been working on. I really don't think that pleasing a couple of people who are whining about a forum theme is more important than trying to work on our other games, so that we can try to sustain ourselves as a group. I may be wrong though, let me know if you find someone who has 5 years of experience organizing priorities with this team. Oh wait..
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby urinal-cake » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Also, like I said, if we have the time we would make a:
  1. Darker alternate to the current theme for the Puny Human website and forums.
  2. Cyberpunk/Dystopia theme for the Dystopia-only forums and webpages.
  3. Themes using the art style of the future games that we do, for the forums and webpages for that project.

But in reality, if you think about how many times the theme would change, it would be really confusing to someone going to the website. So it's more plausible that we would do a Darker alternate instead of a bunch of other themes. Lesser of two evils, etc.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby bauxite » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 pm

im confused on the part where people have to make the dys theme again, its already made? (although not consistent with the punyhuman layout/style)

cant the whole dy subforum just be the "old" forums or each game just have its own sub site/forum with a link from the main forum?

and the main puny human forum will have its own sections such as news tech misc etc, or something along these lines.

sure the problem arises of consistency, if the new projects have forums that are consistent in image with the main puny human site whereas the dys forums are not, but i doubt its a big deal, plus you can work backwards and make a dys theme in time that works with the puny human layout and while that is done the fans can be happy that they have thier familiar forums back.

im sure punyhuman can come to some kind of agreement and compromise with thier fans, after all, isnt that what its about?

im also intersted to see what becomes of punyhuman games, and thier projects, so good luck.
Last edited by bauxite on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Aurion » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 pm

While i do not necessarily need the old skins back, and may not even use them if they would be available, and i understand that you had to make your point clear, i don't think it's the right way to say "we don't care about you guys who only play Dystopia anymore now that we have this shiny new website". You probably didn't mean it like that, but it sounds a lot like it.

Like the big developers you want to stay away from with clearly stating "indie" and "mod" and stuff, who forget every game right after it's released, because people will buy it anyways (which in case of Dystopia is not true, as you can't buy it).

As i said, you likely didn't mean it like that, and of course new games, which you might even make money with are more important as some skin for an old mod, especially when you do not even have skins for your new projects, but completely alienating a somewhat reasonable fanbase who know you, and what to expect, who gave you money even without the need to do so and which you know, and how to work with etc.?

You chose some real harsh words in your first post, your second post is way better regarding clearly stating where you want to go and whats needed.

Oh, and it looks like the "new post while posting" is somewhat borked? Not sure what exactly did it, or if it's reproducable etc., but heres a screenshot:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5514 ... osting.png
Lyta had a little Vorlon, her skin was pale as snow. And everywhere that Lyta went, the Vorlon was sure to go.

Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby The Chosen One » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm

urinal-cake wrote:However, you won't get the Dystopia Corp/Punk theme back

Uhm, it never went away? [1 2]

If you know what you're doing, you can re-enable the old Dys-Punk and -Corp themes in phpBB natively w/o any CSS theme use. AFAIK, it's still completely stable (I did it this afternoon and it's not having any problems)

BTW, the "new" forum is not sending me email notifications anymore.
Last edited by The Chosen One on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby charlestheoaf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 pm

There will be a dark background theme coming, basically that black bar the the top will be the entire background.

It's not extremely high on priority task list though, so it will probably come some time after devapalooza.
charlestheoaf
higher post count

Postby urinal-cake » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:47 pm

bauxite wrote:im confused on the part where people have to make the dys theme again, its already made? (although not consistent with the punyhuman layout/style)

cant the whole dy subforum just be the "old" forums or each game just have its own sub site/forum with a link from the main forum?

The Dystopia forum theme is already made, it was made a few years back when we redid the website (I think 2007 or 2008?) As I mentioned earlier, it's not consistent with the Puny Human layout, which means it lacks the menu at the top for navigating around the website, and it is also a different width for the sake of news posts that are made from the forums, and matching up with the new site design.
The Dystopia sub-forum, which for people who are wondering is this set of forums could be given a different theme through PHPBB, but if we use the old one, it will also include the older Dystopia website's top menu, which means that you can't navigate Puny Human.

bauxite wrote:sure the problem arises of consistency, if the new projects have forums that are consistent in image with the main puny human site whereas the dys forums are not, but i doubt its a big deal, plus you can work backwards and make a dys theme in time that works with the puny human layout and while that is done the fans can be happy that they have thier familiar forums back.

You say "but i doubt its a big deal" well, I'm telling you it is sort of a big deal. We don't want people coming to the website and then having a bunch of different website and forum themes, then being completely confused about where to go. It's also, just more work for us to do. We've set up the website this way so that we can add more projects as we announce them and work on them easily, and have fans of the different projects easily navigate around.

Aurion wrote:While i do not necessarily need the old skins back, and may not even use them if they would be available, and i understand that you had to make your point clear, i don't think it's the right way to say "we don't care about you guys who only play Dystopia anymore now that we have this shiny new website". You probably didn't mean it like that, but it sounds a lot like it.

Yeah, sorry, that's definitely not we're saying. We still care about Dystopia fans, but we'd rather put the work into Dystopia than a Dystopia website. The Dystopia website now serves to be a 'promotional' website where people can go to get information about the game, download it, and such, less as a central HQ for the game. The central HQ is here at Puny Human, and will also serve as the central news/updates HQ for future projects.

Aurion wrote:Like the big developers you want to stay away from with clearly stating "indie" and "mod" and stuff, who forget every game right after it's released, because people will buy it anyways (which in case of Dystopia is not true, as you can't buy it).

We'll definitely be supporting Dystopia for quite a while, but it won't be in the capacity that it has been in the past. All of the artists and level designers have moved on to other projects. We'll still be working on it for as long as our little legs can carry us, but it's also been a lot of time since Dystopia was launched. We need to move on.

Aurion wrote:As i said, you likely didn't mean it like that, and of course new games, which you might even make money with are more important as some skin for an old mod, especially when you do not even have skins for your new projects, but completely alienating a somewhat reasonable fanbase who know you, and what to expect, who gave you money even without the need to do so and which you know, and how to work with etc.?

That's definitely not our intent here. This website will be continuously receiving updates, we'll be bringing the media gallery back online, expanding the Dystopia page to include credits, videos, more information about the game and giving the Dystopia promotional website some of it's content back. I really don't see how taking away a forum theme is alienating our audience.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby Madmansk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 am

Well... if this... theme... is going to be here for a while, would it be possible to use some more colorblind-friendly icons for the post indicators? as it stands now I have to mouse over every bubble to see where the first new post is, and I feel that is less than desirable. maybe clean up some of the 4 year old stickies in the dystopia section?
Madmansk
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Aurion » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 am

@Urinal-Cake: I was not talking about the theme, thats only a minor issue, more about your wording regarding the wish for getting the theme back. But you clarified that.

And yes, the new post indicator could be a bit more noticeable, at least once you are in the forum. The "new post in this forum" indicator is okay i guess. Well, not so much for colorblind probably.

@Madmansk: Zero-Flame already said he will do so soon.
Lyta had a little Vorlon, her skin was pale as snow. And everywhere that Lyta went, the Vorlon was sure to go.

Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby urinal-cake » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:50 am

Aurion wrote:And yes, the new post indicator could be a bit more noticeable, at least once you are in the forum. The "new post in this forum" indicator is okay i guess. Well, not so much for colorblind probably.

Yeah, I'll definitely talk to charles about getting those re-done.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Postby Unacosamedarisa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:37 pm

urinal-cake wrote:Do you think we did this just to annoy you?

Just me I bet!

Well, its not going to work. I don't actually mind the new theme... it is slightly too light/bright, so an alternative, darker theme would be good. Just replacing the lighter grey that is used for the background, with black/charcoal/very dark grey would probably work for me. Everything else I am sure I'll get used to.

Well done on this next step, wherever it is leading you, and good luck with the future endeavours team Puny Human!

We'll always have the Dys smilies I guess... :teams: :sista: :click:
"durr durr durr my team died cos my leader's daddy died" - @Bloody, aka Axeto of team Null Byte demonstrating civility, decency and the DGL Spirit.

Join the Dystopia Last.FM group - the Dystopia Dys-sciples
Unacosamedarisa
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 pm

I don't really think anyone's asking for the dystopia theme to be forced by default on dystopia-specific pages or anything confusing like that

just for a "classic" option to be there when things are settled down, since ucp.php?i=165 has the option right there for board styles, which new fans would never have to worry about unless they wanted to

even a direct copy of the current layout but with the reds and blues pasted in would be a nice compromise
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Luffy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Why don't you just make the bright grey background darker?
Killy
Luffy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby charlestheoaf » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:10 pm

urinal-cake wrote:
Aurion wrote:And yes, the new post indicator could be a bit more noticeable, at least once you are in the forum. The "new post in this forum" indicator is okay i guess. Well, not so much for colorblind probably.

Yeah, I'll definitely talk to charles about getting those re-done.

Are you talking about the little square to the left of the post author's name inside of a post?
charlestheoaf
higher post count

Postby The Chosen One » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Juan wrote:I don't really think anyone's asking for the dystopia theme to be forced by default on dystopia-specific pages or anything confusing like that

just for a "classic" option to be there when things are settled down, since ucp.php?i=165 has the option right there for board styles, which new fans would never have to worry about unless they wanted to

even a direct copy of the current layout but with the reds and blues pasted in would be a nice compromise

Again, there's a 5-minute fix for this. It's kinda long, though, so PM me if you're interested.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 pm

is it just a greasemonkey script or something else
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby The Chosen One » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Nope. It's a modification to a cached version of the UCP, which overrides the board's style selector. It's kinda hard to explain, PM if you're interested.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby babokitty » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:23 am

To the devs:

The first thing you need to do is get rid of your existing troublesome Dystopia fanbase. They've run Dystopia into the gound and they're already complaining about changes to the website FFS. You won't be able to make a good game with these whingers throwing a tantrum about your every move.
babokitty
CorpCop

Postby Pyroguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 am

New theme is awesome. Keep it up.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 am

Uh, not really. IMO (and in a bunch of other people's opinions AFAIK), it's WAY too bright compared to the old themes.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:28 am

The Chosen One wrote:Nope. It's a modification to a cached version of the UCP, which overrides the board's style selector. It's kinda hard to explain, PM if you're interested.

aw heck it sounds too crazy for me [rolls over and goes back to sleep]
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:29 am

Juan wrote:
The Chosen One wrote:Nope. It's a modification to a cached version of the UCP, which overrides the board's style selector. It's kinda hard to explain, PM if you're interested.

aw heck it sounds too crazy for me [rolls over and goes back to sleep]

It's not too crazy. I walked madmansk through it in like 6 minutes over a group chat.
The Chosen One
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:48 am

also I can't tell if this is hilarious satire or brutal honesty

babokitty wrote:To the devs:

The first thing you need to do is get rid of your existing troublesome Dystopia fanbase. They've run Dystopia into the gound and they're already complaining about changes to the website FFS. You won't be able to make a good game with these whingers throwing a tantrum about your every move.
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby twincannon » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 am

Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Explorer
Most PDFs
Amazon
Reddit
Digg
Newegg
Facebook
Youtube
just thought I'd randomly compile a list of things with pure white backgrounds (#FFFFFF), approximately 25% brighter compared to this forum themes post pane background (#CECECE). no reason
twincannon
Puny Human staff

Postby urinal-cake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:01 am

babokitty wrote:To the devs:

Here is why this post is correct, and this is what we should be doing:

The Chosen One wrote:Uh, not really. IMO (and in a bunch of other people's opinions AFAIK), it's WAY too bright compared to the old themes.

The fact that you're saying 'oh, it's not what we're used to' means to me, that I shouldn't listen. These aren't the Dystopia forums any more. We're doing other games, deal with it. So stop comparing it to the old theme, because in one year, 50% of the current tiny Dystopia fanbase will be gone and have moved on, and we'll have brand new players that don't know the difference, and don't care.

This is progress. It's time to adapt and move on.
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

PreviousNext

Return to Puny Human News