template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

Thinking about making a new map..

A place to discuss Custom additions to Dystopia.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thinking about making a new map..

Postby Cyanyde » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 pm

I've been thinking about mapping a lot lately..
There's no reason for it, other than I miss it, but I don't know what brought it on as I haven't thought about it in ages.. that said, I think I want to make a new map. :)

How many of you are still active in Dystopia, and how many would actually play a third party map?

For those who don't know, I made dys_well and dys_parallax.. but I feel like my skills have grown considerably since then, so I would want to start something new from scratch.. possibly re-using some of the better mechanics and storyline from Parallax..
(dna stores etc..)

I have heaps of ideas that I have considered over the past 7 years.. I think I can do something new and unique, but I won't bother if there isn't any interest.

So, what do you guys think?
Is there anything new that you would like to see?
Any ideas you want me to try out in the alpha builds?
Would you even play it?
click the banner to get your own!
Cyanyde
higher post count

Re: Thinking about making a new map..

Postby bauxite » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:49 pm

The only kind of map that the community could use at this time is a pug map, designed for competitive play.

The only way the map would see any play is if it was on a dedicated server with FastDL.
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Neon Girl » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:33 am

Well, there is a FastDL server up and running you know :) I'd be more than happy to put anything you make on it too.

I'd love to play another 3rd party map. One with a novel setting like dys_derailed (on and around a giant monorail) or dys_atlantis (an underwater research station) would be bitchin.
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Postby bauxite » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Hmm I don't remember derailed, was it a u4 map?

Is it possible to get a 1.2 gcf?
bauxite
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Cyanyde » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm thinking about the PUG map style, basically a fast-paced and clean map with clear concise objectives. I normally like to make stuff that is unique, but a pug-style map should be well-balanced, well thought out and entirely possible to complete within the time limits. I think the best layout for this would be the one that I made for well2 before I lost interest in it. I simply need to scrap the "Fuel of War" style objectives I was going for, in favour of something more stream-lined.

I'll start on the initial stuff later tonight, and should be able to whip together a basis fairly quickly. I will work out an objective list and rough outline first, and we can go from there.

Anything you would like to see implemented, this is the time to mention it. ;)
click the banner to get your own!
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Meester » Mon May 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Make it

v
e
r
t
i
c