template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

New Dys Tutorial, Now In Beta!

A place to discuss Custom additions to Dystopia.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: New Dys Tutorial, Now In Beta!

Postby Xaxu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 am

Right, so, I'm confuzzled as fuck. Why isn't the ammo dispenser showing up?! GAH! Has anyone else had this issue? Do I even have to use Pakrat for standard models? WHAT IS GOING ON?! Until I get this solved, I'm going to keep working at it, and at the other maps on which I am working.

Also, I seem to be unable to compile VRAD half the time, and when it does work, I run it once with proper lighting, and the next time it's fullbright! ARGH!

EDIT: Ok, when I place the ammo dispenser MODEL as a static prop, it doesn't show up. WTF?!?!

And I no-clipped out of my level, and came back in, and the lighting was correct. WTF?!?!

Aaaannnnddd, what I wouldn't give for a render farm. I'm not liking the 20 minute compile time on tut_01a. Not at all.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Smaug » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Hmm, this may sound a bit retarded, but you are using "dys_ammodisp" entity for the ammo dispenser, not a prop_static etc?

Also, I'd be happy to compile your maps for you, I have quite a powerful computer, it'd probably compile your maps in no time at all!

Smaug
Marvin the Paranoid Android dancing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUT7pmTIdCo
Smaug

Postby Xaxu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Yeah, I double-checked to make sure they were the proper entity... I've made that mistake more than once lol.

Thanks for offering to compile my maps, Smaug, and I may yet take you up on that offer, particularly if they get any larger. My current strategy is to set it to compile and go eat lunch or get ready to leave for class or something. Speaking of which, I'm compiling tut_01a now and I'll be back to upload it after lunch, as well as what I have of the basic levels.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:57 pm

~~RELEASE TIME!~~

I gotta run, but I'll fill you all in on it in a few hours. Also, make a video of you playing it, if you can. As per a suggestion I received, it would be most helpful to see the map as it plays on another computer, as I don't actually have a test box where I can watch it myself..... Although, I do have my laptop.....

Stay tuned, folks!

Still here? Good.

'Aight, listen up, here's what you need to know:

First sewer tunnel, I am very much aware that the nodraw textures are, in fact, causing the other textures to nodraw. Or something. I don't know. What I do know is that there is an unbreakable glass wall in front of it, so it's all good for testing purposes. Also, there are more helpers scattered throughout, as well as existing helpers being more, well, helpful, and I'm fairly certain that they all work as intended, including ones that I thought were working, but in fact were not.

I am also aware that one of the jump pads still isn't functional, and to be honest I haven't a clue in hell why it's not working, except that I get this strange error when I open up the map in Hammer, and that it started around version 1.1. What causes it, I haven't the foggiest, most opaque clue in all of hell, and neither does Google, so I'm kinda stuck until I can ask you lot (when I get home).
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Nord » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:26 am

DLing will test sometime later today, good to see some dedication being put toward the new player base.
Nord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Alright, I played through it on another computer today, but I had no technical issues other than it still being fullbright because of the nodraw issue. I'm gonna try it on my laptop later today, as soon as I get it working under WINE.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Smaug » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 am

Sorry, what order are we supposed to play the maps in?

The tut_00a and tut_00b seem like a world away from tut_01a+b?

00a is alot better btw, much more what I had in mind. I don't understand 00b however, the general design of it is really strange, what seems to be floating platforms, this raised bridge that I can't seem to make go down (am I right?) - hell, there's these 2 panels to the left and right (up and down respectively) and they don't seem to do anything (I've shot at them and pressed them and +use'd, nothing seems to happen) so I end up just noclipping up, where there's this really thin floating platform... I mean, it just feels weird. 1 floating plankwalk is only reachable if I jump on this cube thing, which is slippery as anything...

It needs more direction, basically :P

Not managed to play 001 yet. but 00a is waaaay better, and really good! It's presented in a really clear fassion, congrats.

Any chance of an explenation for 00b tho?

Smaug
Marvin the Paranoid Android dancing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUT7pmTIdCo
Smaug

Postby Xaxu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:59 am

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh, about that....... The maps are supposed to be played in what I call 'logical order', which I will explain here:

I use legacy naming from HL, which is where I first got started. tut_00a broken down is 'tut', which means tutorial; '00', which is the level; and 'a', which is the map. Logical order is to play levels in numerical order while following maps in alphabetical order. To clear up any confusion, the order is tut_00a, tut_00b (defunct), tut_01a, tut_01b (defunct).

tut_00 and tut_01 are completely different. 00 is a training facility, in which one learns how to do all sorts of things one would need to know, such as movement, combat, etc.; 01 is closer to lobby, in that you are there to do a job, and everything you do is to achieve that end. It'll become more clear as I write the scripting for the end of 00, in which it explains what's coming next (01a and, eventually, 01b).

I actually didn't want to release tut_00b yet, as it's more of a concept map than anything else. A concept of what is up for debate. To get the vertical platform to work, you have to stand right in the middle of the platform and shoot the one on the left THEN the right, and if I remember my version history right, it either rotates around it's vertical axis, which doesn't really do anything, or it's forward axis, which also doesn't do anything helpful. The problem is fixed, however.

The point behind that map is, well, I don't really know, but I though there needed to be more practice with moving around, so I made that amazing piece of trash. I'll get it worked out eventually, but probably not in time for 1.3, which is fine by me.

In general, my last release was garbage. There were errors EVERYWHERE, including broken doors which, as Crimson pointed out to me today, make it impossible to complete tut_00a. Things randomly disappear between when I save the map and when I open it a few days later. It's annoying. And I STILL can't get PakRat to work! Oh well, I'll just decompress any models I use and distribute them the old-fashioned way until I can find a reliable method. I hate 3rd party tools, they rarely work for me.

In other news, I just had my 13-yo brother play it for the first time, and aside from having to explain to him how to use legboosters (since updated with a hudhint), and when to deck out (mostly it was already there, he just didn't read the helpers when they were helpful (will be fixed with audio)), he did pretty well. In all, a very informative experience for me.

Anyway, get your files here!
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Neon Girl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I played through both tut's (00a and 01a I think) and I must say, they are done much better than the super early versions. Final area of the second tut was a *tad* confusing. Instead of looping the player back through an area where they'd already been, prehaps you could move them to a new area, possibly the next part of the tut.

One other thing, I'd consider loosing the legacy name. First level of the tut should be tut_00a1. Next version would be tut_00a2 until you're in beta, then tut_00b1, b2 etc. Then tut_01a1 for the first version of the next one... It doesn't really matter, but it should help with the confusion as to when to play what level. Sometime, I'll get around to going through the other levels.

Keep up the good work buddy!
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:36 am

Neon Girl wrote:I played through both tut's (00a and 01a I think) and I must say, they are done much better than the super early versions. Final area of the second tut was a *tad* confusing. Instead of looping the player back through an area where they'd already been, prehaps you could move them to a new area, possibly the next part of the tut.

I fixed that in the upcoming release. There's now a forcefield which directs the player into the correct path, so the player will have no choice but to go through the proper door. Yay for forcefields!

Neon Girl wrote:One other thing, I'd consider loosing the legacy name. First level of the tut should be tut_00a1. Next version would be tut_00a2 until you're in beta, then tut_00b1, b2 etc. Then tut_01a1 for the first version of the next one... It doesn't really matter, but it should help with the confusion as to when to play what level. Sometime, I'll get around to going through the other levels.

I'll keep that in mind. And don't bother going through tut_00b or tut_01b, there's nothing there worth seeing.

Neon Girl wrote:Keep up the good work buddy!

Thank you, I wholly intend to.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:56 pm

New release time! Yay!

GET IT HERE!

In this version, a lot of things were not really so much fixed as simply improved. The forcefield texture is considerably better (imo), there is now lighting on tut_00a, and the huge "ERROR"s are now working with their proper models (thanks McMuffin for pointing that out).

A few things left to do: Almost all of the audio needs to be placed, and before that I need it found and/or created; The helpers may or may not get more revision so that they will be a bit more helpful (I did that in 1.6, but there's still something lacking); The transition between levels need to make better sense; One more thing, but I forgot what it was...

Anyway, have at it.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:20 pm

New version! It's got sounds! Yay sounds! And other neat features which should add to the effect of the map! Yay ambiance! I'm liking how this one is turning out, especially now that I have a few of the issues worked out. Also, I can't remember if I've released this version yet, but I've retextured much of tut_00a, so it's not quite so ugly.

DOWNLOAD IT!

I still need voices for the helpers. I had one person who was interested, and may or may not still be (out of communication, at the moment), but if you are interested, send me a message, or post, or something, and I'll get you a copy of the script as soon as it's done. More than likely, I'll post it here.

Uh, what else.... Depending on the remaining time for the release of 1.3 and how much spare time I have, I may or may not work on a third level. I think that there are still some things which need to be addressed, which can't be done with the existing framework of two maps. The more advanced things, things like usable non-button objects(broadcast 2nd objective), breakable walls (vaccine), and breakable objectives (most maps). I know that those things might sound obvious, but I thought that movement and shooting was obvious if you made it far enough to download Dystopia.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby trigger_hurt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Image Invalid or Deleted File
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.
Click here to view our help resources
trigger_hurt
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Hmmm, works for me, and the file is still in my account. Maybe they were having technical difficulties. Just to be safe, try this one:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ow42oj50kyzn0kt

or this one:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ow42oj50kyzn0kt/tutorial1.8.zip

If it still doesn't work, I'll use some other place to host it.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:53 am

Mini-status update today:

I'm making decent progress on the new level, and I expect it to be ready to test by the end of next week, maybe earlier if I decide to let you see it before the mapping itself is done.

Some features of note:
    Very large cyberspace tube network with energy refill, so you shouldn't run out of energy
    Introduction to heavy and medium (soon)
    Continued storyline (I wish I could do a campaign, but there's no AI enemies)

I'll have some screenshots here soon.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:37 pm

THE PROJECT IS NOT DEAD!!! IT WILL BE RELEASED BY THE OFFICIAL RELEASE OF 1.3!!!!

Moment of temporary insanity aside, I've decided that what was once two is now going to be one, as in no level change after the big gravlift at the end of 01a. Why? Because I'm having a hard time with a whole additional level, and coming up with enough stuff to make it really unique from the first two. Will the build times be effing huge? Yeah, but it should play just fine.

STILL need someone to do the voiceovers for the helpers! Had one person interested, and if you still are, please tell me. If not, I'll need to find someone else. If ANYONE is interested, please speak up.

EDIT: Well, it's way too late for me to do a full-on build, but tomorrow I'll do one (1 hour or more compile time), and you can see the end of the saga which is my tutorial. Not to say that it's finished, but I've reached the end of the level.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Update time!

So, it should all work from the newly pakrat'd file (I finally got it working, damn java).

New to this version is the use of voice helpers! Yay! I know that they're a bit quiet, but I don't have time to make them all louder right now. Also, you'll notice that this is compiled without lighting. Also because I don't have time. I'll put up an updated version either tomorrow or the day after, when I can squeeze in the time for a long compile.

EDIT: Bugged to hell, which I didn't find out until someone tried it. I'll have the fixed version tomorrow.

Stupid pakrat.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Sorry for the lack of update, I've had quite a bit on my plate. I've started going to school for Network and Communications Management, and as such I don't have time to work as fast as I'd like to. HOWEVER(!) I will be compiling a new release version tomorrow, though I still can't get pakrat to work.

This one will include a finished version of the map (not final if I should decide I change it) and working audio (including helper stuff from the greatest Christopher Eccleston voice impersonator EVAR).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do something to get the 9th doctor's voice out of my head.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Long story short, I can't compile anything for dys since the move to OB. I can do the pre-set TF2 config just fine, but when I try anything for dys, it just hangs there forever on vbsp, and yes, I am using the right vbsp. It uses up every last bit of memory and CPU, and even after 3 hours it hadn't shown a single sign of moving. And it's not just the tutorial, I have a basic sandbox map I use for testing things, which I compiled as a room with a corp spawn and a punk spawn, which worked perfectly in 1.2, and it won't compile.

So yeah, I'm confuzzled as fuck again. Has anyone else run into this problem (with or without a fix, but preferably with), or am I the lucky SOB with the random problem?

EDIT: Fixed. Re-dl'd the sdk base for the 10th time, rewrote the entry in the sdk for the 10th time, and kicked my computer twice. Now to figure out that freakin pakrat program...

EDIT EDIT: Compiled in record time, I'll have it uploaded as soon as I get the helpers working, probably mid day tomorrow.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby theonlyintruder » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Any update on the progress for this?
theonlyintruder
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Xaxu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Well, I'm back from my extended vacation from the never-ending frustration of trying to find work-arounds.

I have just about everything hashed out how I want it, and it's all ready to go. Except, of course, the dialogue. Like everyone else, I am completely unable to use any custom content, whether it be models or sounds or anything like that. Now, I can understand the desire to restrict such things for security and fairness, but there's security and then there's paranoia.

Dys team: THIS IS A MOD. This game isn't being played in major competitions where you can win thousands of dollars, or really win anything. It has a small but dedicated cult following who are more than willing to help improve the game. Please stop restricting content, and release a patch immediately allowing for the use of custom content, rather than waiting for the fabled 1.3.1 update. 1.3.0.1 is sufficient to solve this problem.

On a mapping note, I'll have it uploaded, with the sounds (be they working or not), sometime later today or tomorrow, whenever I get the last few bug fixes finished.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby KindredPhantom » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:13 pm

It's to do with the Orange Box engine, it isn't a case of purposely restricting custom content. If you want to play with custom content you will have to extract dystopia into your sourcemod directory and run it from there.
KindredPhantom
Puny Human staff

Postby Xaxu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 am

Well, there you have it; my entire system has come crashing down on the technicality that OB doesn't support external content like custom sounds. Also, it doesn't want to compile vvis without taking for-freakin-ever, and I can't keep the computer tied up for 8+ hours on end, as I'm not the only person using it. So, in closing, this project is officially on hold until I get it to compile properly (I might use my POS dummy computer for it; I don't use it for anything else) and until I can get my sound files included in the distributed file (I can't remember the name of it, and I'm working on my laptop well removed from any Steam directory).

Sorry, guys; I really wanted to have this thing be adopted eventually, but it looks like I've hit a permanent snag if Dys work is being toned down for Blade Symphony development.
Xaxu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Ballistic Cranium » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:04 am

Regarding vvis: Can't you use func_viscluster? You have a lot of long hallways and shafts you could apply it to in order to cut down on compile times.

"" sounds: I should try adding sounds to Parity and see if they work.

"" Pakrat: Odd how pakrat isn't working for you. I'll give it a go on your files in a bit.

EDIT:
Pakrat worked fine. Just the usual reset the filepath for every single file not automatically detected (screens, helpers, mappaths, etc).
Ballistic Cranium
Decker

Postby Fedio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Don't know what DrearkHab is talking about... but OB does support custom sounds, at least .mp3 and .wav. It supports both ambient_generic and soundscapes. I know that before OB there were some sound issues though.

As for the 8 hour render, that sounds like there are some leaks or something else needs fixed. Unless you are using Pentium 3 you shouldnt come anywhere near to going over an hour. Fusion takes 10 minutes to do an HDR build on a Core i7 and from what I remember all the other maps took around 15-45 minutes to render.
Fedio
Physical Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Dystopia Custom Content