template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

[BETA] dys_parallax - B10 released! (4th October 2009)

A place to discuss Custom additions to Dystopia.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Postby Cyanyde » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:56 am

I have a server running it, just can't seem to get fastdl working.
I have sv_downloadurl "http://fastdl.zero-flame.com" in my server.cfg, but it still doesn't seem to let people download it. Do I need a bz2 file on the server as well?

(67.222.131.43:27015 gfh Clan server - Parallax testing Beta 7a)

edit: got it, net_maxfilesize 64 ftw
Thanks to anyone who puts this on their server, the more, the better! :)

edit2: here's a demo of me running through the map, watch it for a idea of what to do. :)

http://madness.tmok.com/~asdfg/parallax/para_walkthrough.rar
click the banner to get your own!
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby sverek » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:52 pm

cool. I also uploaded map on NK server. FastDL up.
<Atomy> i can kill all
<Atomy> so those bastards would get updated
<Atomy> THATS THE WAY TO WORK WITH VALVE TOOLS
sverek
higher post count

Postby lamer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:41 pm

I totally want to test this map, but my PC does not work :(
Would you like some lemons with that?
lamer
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Cyanyde » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:31 pm

Compiling b7b right now, a few of the changes are listed below.

Changelog version b7b

*Moved one of the punk's starting jips to street level
*Fixed vent leading to final objective
*rebuilt building next to first punk spawn
*added another way for corps to access final area from their spawn
*fixed some doors
*filtered final objectives so corps can't cap/destroy it
*all helpers should now work
*fixed some missing brushes/misplaced models
*more speed on some doors that were too slow
*pi ;)

It will be up in about an hour, testing will be later on the GFH server for those interested. :)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:46 pm

Cyanyde wrote:Compiling b7b right now, a few of the changes are listed below.

Changelog version b7b

*Moved one of the punk's starting jips to street level
*Fixed vent leading to final objective
*rebuilt building next to first punk spawn
*added another way for corps to access final area from their spawn
*fixed some doors
*filtered final objectives so corps can't cap/destroy it
*all helpers should now work
*fixed some missing brushes/misplaced models
*more speed on some doors that were too slow
*pi ;)

It will be up in about an hour, testing will be later on the GFH server for those interested. :)

New version is up,
http://madness.tmok.com/~asdfg/parallax/dys_parallax_b7b.rar

I need looooads of feedback on this one, next build is the b8 version and I'm hoping that's the last beta before the rc.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:29 pm

B7c released.
Changes include:

Obj1
* Made glass on obj1 hut breakable
* Glass on roof of base breakable
(now obj1 is capable without hacking) :(

Obj2
* obj2 jip now has lock/unlock, corps can't lock the punk decker in the jip by mistake now.
(Thanks to Marvintheparanoidandroid for pointing this out)

* Other minor stuff no one will notice except me. :P

Download here: http://madness.tmok.com/~asdfg/parallax/dys_parallax_b7c.rar

Once again, we're nearing the RC.. I need as much feedback as I can possibly get over the next few days.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:49 am

Anyone have suggestions? I'm working on b8 but atm it's all visual stuff.

I'm going to work on the final objective some, but I'm wondering if anything else still needs work?
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby anton_es » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:41 pm

I'll maybe find time to look at it on saturday. sry, not much time atm
anton_es
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:46 pm

anton_es wrote:I'll maybe find time to look at it on saturday. sry, not much time atm

There's a mfp on saturday.. :)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:39 pm

B8 is released!
Download link is in the first post.
As always it's on the gfh server.. seeya there! :)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby kameroti » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:26 am

My big comment after the MFP yesterday was that, if the Corp deckers are on the ball, they can keep all the huts in the CS 1st objective and pretty much keep the Punks locked out of a capture.

I have two recommendations to add a non-CS related alternate route to the capture. Make the windows of the Corp stronghold a little lower and taller so Punks can shot out the windows and leg boosting lights can reach the rim of the broken out windows, ledge grab, and get into the outpost even when the front door is still locked in CS. Second, make larger windows for the 'spawn capture' hut in meatspace. Make them strong, but breakable, so Punks can eventually break through the glass, get into the room and capture the spawn while the hut's door is still locked in CS.

My only second note is I was surprised that the Punks could reach the final objective room before the Corps had the chance to spawn at their final spawn. This seemed to be because the Corps where killed-off and the still living Punks could run from the capture JIP straight to the final objective room as the Corps waited to spawn. This pretty much made the final bit a rout as the Punks owned the space and the Corps had to fight their way into the room while the Punks captured the turret and quickly captured the CS objective to take the core.

A note on the new CS space for the final objective. Loved the new layout, but I feel the Punk floor and Corp floor should be closer together to allow more cyber fighting options than just shooting at the ceiling. Such as being able to projectile jump to the other team's floor as a strategy...

Dems my notes!

-- Kameroti
kameroti

Postby Cyanyde » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:00 am

Some good stuff here.. nothing better than another mapper giving feedback..

kameroti wrote:My big comment after the MFP yesterday was that, if the Corp deckers are on the ball, they can keep all the huts in the CS 1st objective and pretty much keep the Punks locked out of a capture.
Make the windows of the Corp stronghold a little lower and taller so Punks can shot out the windows and leg boosting lights can reach the rim of the broken out windows, ledge grab, and get into the outpost even when the front door is still locked in CS. Second, make larger windows for the 'spawn capture' hut in meatspace. Make them strong, but breakable, so Punks can eventually break through the glass, get into the room and capture the spawn while the hut's door is still locked in CS.

Punks have 2 jips here, which I don't think they realized the majority of the time, however, you can already shoot the big glass on the roof out and the objective hut windows are already breakable.. Guess I should make it more obvious, but I really wanted to encourage decking on that objective.

kameroti wrote:My only second note is I was surprised that the Punks could reach the final objective room before the Corps had the chance to spawn at their final spawn. This seemed to be because the Corps where killed-off and the still living Punks could run from the capture JIP straight to the final objective room as the Corps waited to spawn. This pretty much made the final bit a rout as the Punks owned the space and the Corps had to fight their way into the room while the Punks captured the turret and quickly captured the CS objective to take the core.

I was actually worried about this when I was making it. There's actually an exit in the back side of the room that leads downstairs, and is a much faster route than the others, but I still think I'm going to put a slow-moving door on the ramp leading down to there that will take awhile to open fully. (sort of like the reactor door on spiral) I think that will go a long way to letting the corps set up a defense before the punks get there.

kameroti wrote:A note on the new CS space for the final objective. Loved the new layout, but I feel the Punk floor and Corp floor should be closer together to allow more cyber fighting options than just shooting at the ceiling. Such as being able to projectile jump to the other team's floor as a strategy...

Good suggestion, I will try it out in the next build and see how it works. :)

Thanks again for the feedback. It sucks that we went for like 4 hours and I only got 1 person's comments, but I have heaps of notes from the actual games so I have a good idea of what did and didn't work. :)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby kameroti » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Cyanyde wrote:Punks have 2 jips here, which I don't think they realized the majority of the time, however, you can already shoot the big glass on the roof out and the objective hut windows are already breakable.. Guess I should make it more obvious, but I really wanted to encourage decking on that objective.

Duh, color me silly. I found the 2nd Punk JIP, now behind the arcade. I never left the spawn in that direction so I never saw the indicator for it on my mini map.

Found the breakable roof glass. Solves my problem, though I assumed it was unbreable given it was in the 'safety glass' texture usually used to show glass which can't be broken.

And for the hut glass (face in palms), yeah, it works just like I thought it should. Never thought to try it. Now that I have, I'd recommend making it stronger! :lol:

-- Kameroti
kameroti

Postby Cyanyde » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:16 pm

kameroti wrote:Found the breakable roof glass. Solves my problem, though I assumed it was unbreable given it was in the 'safety glass' texture usually used to show glass which can't be broken.

And for the hut glass (face in palms), yeah, it works just like I thought it should. Never thought to try it. Now that I have, I'd recommend making it stronger! :lol:

-- Kameroti

:D

I'm seriously glad you pointed that out about the windows..
I was trying to be consistent with the glass textures.. I totally forgot to change those ones..

Do you think I should make the hut glass a sub-objective?

Either way.. nice catch! ;)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby kameroti » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:16 pm

Cyanyde wrote:Do you think I should make the hut glass a sub-objective?

Nah. Too in-your-face. Maybe a 'Fragile Glass' decal next to them might work...

-- K
kameroti

Re: [BETA] dys_parallax - 8 released! (13th September 2008)

Postby Cyanyde » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 pm

I'm about to release the 1.2 version of parallax, but I need some feedback.
I am wondering about what needs to be worked on so if anyone has played the beta 8 version, please let me know your thoughts. Anything is welcome at this point, improvements on objectives, gameflow, visual stuff is okay at this point. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the final objective hasn't been finalized in b8, that's what is new so far.. other than that, tell me what you want to see changed.

Map is available here:
http://madness.tmok.com/~asdfg/parallax/dys_parallax_b8.rar

New build should be out this weekend, until then I'll be looking for as much input as possible.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Zero-Flame » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:02 pm

It is up on the WW3Gaming.com server
WW3|Zero-Flame
Free file hosting at http://Zero-Flame.com
US FastDL @ http://fastdl.zero-flame.com
Zero-Flame
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Here's a couple shots from beta9.. just to show it's still being worked on.
(hoping for a release this weekend, but no promises) :)

Yes you can shoot that glass and drop down below.. I'm hoping for some matrix style gameplay at the final objective. That's a full vis/rad compile, it's fully playable and everything works, but I still want to tidy up some stuff before I actually release it. ;)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Re: [BETA] dys_parallax - B9 released! (18th February 2009)

Postby Cyanyde » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:52 am

New build released today, see the first post for changes and download link. :D
Cyanyde
higher post count

Re: [BETA] dys_parallax - B9a released! (20th February 2009)

Postby Cyanyde » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Beta9a released, see first post for changes and download link.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12414
Running on DAL-10 server: 66.150.221.66:27016
Feedback please! :)
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Dogma » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:48 am

Hey, just had the opportunity to place this map for a few rounds, and you were kickin around asking for comments, so I figured I'd drop in here and give my thoughts.

I'm not really that well versed in map design in terms of gameplay, so I can't say I have a whole lot to comment on that area, but I think can give some tips to keep in mind regarding all of the aethistics as you keep polishing up the map. I got a question first- What's the backstory on the map?
Dogma
Blank Load Out

Postby Cyanyde » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:58 am

Dogma wrote:Hey, just had the opportunity to place this map for a few rounds, and you were kickin around asking for comments, so I figured I'd drop in here and give my thoughts.

I'm not really that well versed in map design in terms of gameplay, so I can't say I have a whole lot to comment on that area, but I think can give some tips to keep in mind regarding all of the aethistics as you keep polishing up the map. I got a question first- What's the backstory on the map?

Although it's nice to hear feedback from people who are versed in level design, I definitely want to hear from people who are "just playing the game" as well.

As far as the storyline goes..
Punks heard about a DNA farm that the corps are running which houses DNA from the brightest military personnel throughout history. (only since it was possible to take samples of course)

So yeah, punks want to deal with that issue because if the corps manage to research that knowledge, they will have a major advantage in the on-going battle..

Don't worry, I'm planning to work the details into the map, but for now I just want it to be fun to play.
That means, as close to zero frustration factor as possible, while being as balanced as I can make it..

So about that feedback?
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 am

We had a lot of fun games last night, so I'll try and remember what it was I was going to feedback. :P

For the first objective to be captured a little quicker (and as there's so much to do in cyberspace), I'd suggest that both the punk deckers be covered by thermal turrets - perhaps the bottom one could still be EMPable, but it's always frustrating to be an easily killed punk decker, as it's very counter-productive for your team to sit around at spawn defending you.
And In cyberspace, could the buttons for the side doors be combined into one? Punks will always want them both open presumably, and that way you could have the node change colour when capped, like the rest of them do (which is very helpful). Also I'm completely unable to read any of the text on top of the nodes, the white text seems to bleed into the black background for some reason (I have HDR off), maybe it's just my weird video settings though.

The street area for objective 1 is lovely - it's what exodus should have been! Lots of routes for legboosting lights, but if you're a heavy there's still enough cover and it's a short enough path to the objective that you're still useful. The only problem might be possible infect syndrome, where you can't actually get inside the building at all unless either you have legboosters, or somebody hacks it open. However, seeing as once you're inside you're very close to capping the objective itself, I'd say that's probably not a problem, especially if punks are given the edge in cyberspace.
Also the brute is a nice touch, if the weapons worked then I would say that is exactly how brutes should be used in maps (in their current state at least) - it could give you a slight help shooting some stuff (especially if your team opened the front door/main gates for you), but it'd be destroyed soon and wouldn't come back. There do seem to be a lot of solid physics props about, so although my FPS seemed to be pretty fine, if you need to optimize then perhaps some of those could be made non-solid.
Could disabling the floodlights be shown by a dys_onscreeninfo instead of a subobjective maybe? It's not really all that critical to capturing the objective. Although I suppose that way you won't get extra points for it, which is a pity, but I still think compared to unlocking the security room door it's not so much a subobjective as just a little extra thing to do.
Also, it bothers me that there's this really massive wall and huge door blocking the entrance to the building, but then if you go to the far right you can just walk on in anyway. I can see how it's still obviously helpful to open the main doors, but it seems odd. Could this mysterious gap be explained somehow?
Finally for objective 1, a couple of minor things: the transport vehicle nearest the main doors has some floating weapons on it, the corps can smash the floodlights themselves and somehow get a +5 assist for it, and when you legboost onto the roof, the angled section where the floodlights are is too steep to walk on, so unless you manage to jump past it, you just fall off again (this might be on purpose though - it means mediums can't get up there without fancy grenade-jumping).

Objective 2 the layout does get a little more confusing - I'd suggest locking all the exits that lead outside (although still have them open from the outside so left-behind people can get in) and maybe bringing down some emergency-looking shutters over the breakable glass, so it's really clear not to head back that way. However having just had another run around I finally get it and it all looks good. Less insane amounts of feedback on this than on first, I think - again, some tactical door-locking would be good once it's captured (the doors leading to the JIP at the bottom of the broken elevator shaft should be made one-way, so you can leave from the JIP but not re-enter). We did find that corps could hold it fairly easily just by getting down to the bottom floor and camping it, but on offence we seemed to manage to take second fairly effectively.

I'm not so sure gameplay-wise about objectives 3 and 4, they seemed fun but I think I need to play them a couple more times with other people to give some more extensive feedback. Sorry, the amount of feedback seems to have decreased gradually from objective to objective - it wasn't until the last couple of rounds that I even ever saw the new objective 4 lower area, though!

There seem to be some turret issues: a bunch of the spawn turrets (corp spawns 1, 2 and 3) are destroyable quite easily. Additionally the turrets in punk spawns 2 and 3 never come online, which could be a problem if a corp accidentally gets in.

In general for cyberspace it'd be nice for the various screens in cyberspace to show a camera of whatever it is they affect, I think you mentioned that this was something that might be added in the future anyway.

So yeah. Stuff, lots of text. Hope at least some of it is useful!
<the_funkmaster> does lez dream of ELCRETIC SHPEE?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
higher post count

Postby Mikplayeur » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Good map with ideas in cyberspace but not enough exploited (I think to a skill needed to move in cyberspace, double jump in cyberland precision). Amelioration possibles are the global vision on objectives with less of texts. It's the most immersive. An example, when you want to hack basement it's strange to have to go down in the goal to find the cybernode.

For illustrate cyberspace a screen. I think that it's too small and that objectives cases could be in air for more difficulties.

On this picture I imagine another point of entry, through the roof.

I think that to invert elevators and security can be good. It's more logical to find elevators by entering.

Here there is an overload of cyberspaces, you must rethink this place at my sens.

Here I think that it's too empty. You can do a decoration style as offices per exemple.

Finaly the map must be tested for attack/defense balance. ;)
Mikplayeur
Rocketeer

Postby Esoj » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:26 pm

the map badly needs signs or arrows something to show the player where to go. there are so many cool alternative routes in this map but a lot of people will never see them unless they are pointed out. this is especially important for all the new players that haven't played the map for 50+ hours.

objective 2 is possibly a bit campable by the corps and it seemed to get locked down in some rounds last night. a part from that I think the map is playing quite nicely and once it gets spruced up should look the part too. great work cyanyde map is coming along very nicely and the new end objective area was awesome to finally play with lots of people.
Esoj
higher post count

PreviousNext

Return to Dystopia Custom Content